Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lucidGX

Game Engine Books

Is the game programming gem series a good book to learn game programming not just the graphic programming like opengl. I would like to start learning about make a game engine. I am interested in how the made the tony hawk games like the first one. I can''t recieve an education right now for game design so any suggestions of books? i already have sams c++ and opengl programming but I am looking into the game programming gem books...

Most books discuss specific aspects of writing engines, like graphics, data structures, physics, AI, handy utility classes, and things like that. But they don't tell you much about how to organize and put it all together.

If you want to learn how to code games, the best way to learn how everything fits together is to do it. You'll probably start confused, but as you go you'll keep learning new stuff and it'll make more sense. Along the way you might get lots of ideas from books (like GPG) or the net.

A lot of people are really intimidated by the idea of writing an engine because they don't want to do it the "wrong way". You really have to take the first step though. Writing an engine is more about coming up with solutions to problems than knowing the right way to do everything.

If you ever feel really lost, then probably the best thing is to see an example, something concrete.. So, no problem- there are plenty of free engines on the net that you can download. Try Irrlicht, Crystal Space, or NeoEngine, just get a copy and then play around with it, make some demos.

Anyways since you asked about book suggestions, here are some of my favs that I'd recommend:

-All Game Programming Gems
-AI Game Programming Wisdom
-Game Coding COmplete
-Game Scripting Mastery
-Real-time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX
-Direct3D ShaderX

Raj

[edited by - Rajansky on October 13, 2003 11:31:27 PM]