Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red_Riot

OpenGL My First Square? Init OpenGL Question: (noobie)

I have a question for anyone who has the time, thanks in advance: I''m trying to get my first square in OpenGL up and running under SDL. I know that OpenGL is working fine because I can clear the screen to any color I wish, or a changing color as well. My problem, however, lies in that a polygon that I''ve sent down the line doesn''t seem to want to apear. I''m hoping that one of the masterminds here knows, perchance what''s wrong. I''m using a simple 640x480 resolution for testing purposes. I''ve been hacking on this for about 2 days, trying to figure out what''s screwy. attn to the Init OpenGL part I believe, perchance there''s an error with perspective? #include "shards.h" shards::shards() { } shards::~shards() { SDL_Quit(); } bool shards::setup() { //SDL SETUP int bitpp; const SDL_VideoInfo* info=NULL; if (SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0) { SDL_Quit(); return false; } info = SDL_GetVideoInfo(); bitpp = info->vfmt->BitsPerPixel; SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DEPTH_SIZE,16); SDL_GL_SetAttribute(SDL_GL_DOUBLEBUFFER,1); if (!SDL_SetVideoMode(640,480,bitpp,SDL_OPENGL|SDL_FULLSCREEN)) { SDL_Quit(); return false; } //init OpenGL glViewport(0,0,640,480); glClearColor(0.0f,0.0f,0.0f,0.0f); glClearDepth(1.0f); glEnable(GL_DEPTH_TEST); glDepthFunc(GL_LESS); glMatrixMode(GL_PROJECTION); glLoadIdentity(); gluPerspective(45.0f,(GLfloat)640/(GLfloat)480,1.0f,150.0f); glMatrixMode(GL_MODELVIEW); glLoadIdentity(); return true; } void shards::draw() { glClearColor(0, 0, 0, 0.0); glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT); glColor3f(1.0,1.0,1.0); glOrtho(0.0,1.0,0.0,1.0,-1.0,1.0); glBegin(GL_POLYGON); glVertex3f(0.25,0.25,0.0); glVertex3f(0.75,0.25,0.0); glVertex3f(0.75,0.75,0.0); glVertex3f(0.25,0.75,0.0); glEnd(); glFlush(); SDL_GL_SwapBuffers(); } bool shards::input() { SDL_Event event; while (SDL_PollEvent ( &event ) ) { switch ( event.type ) { case SDL_KEYDOWN: printf( "Key press detected\n" ); return false; break; case SDL_KEYUP: printf( "Key release detected\n" ); return false; break; default: break; } } return true; } Thanks again in advance.

The quickest way to get this to work is to set the third parameter of glVertex3f to something >= 1.0f. I can''t explain why this works, though.

Best of luck,
ZE.

i dun have a solution for ur problem, for now, but just wanted to bring up something... u initialized a perspective projection at first, but every iteration of ur draw function explicitly sets to ortho projection before rendering. y not just set it to ortho from the start?