Question about programming courses.

Started by
1 comment, last by SSJCORY 20 years, 6 months ago
I am currently a senior in high school taking college computer science in the java language. I am more proficient in c++ which I taught myself. My question is what would be a good class to take in college after taking CS A? Should I take CS B if its in Java even if I prefer C, C++. Are there any other good courses to take out there? ... Also pertaining to jacksonville residents... Does anyone know of any colleges here that offer extensive programming courses? Thanx guys. Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You shall not pass!|Gollum: My Precious!|Smeagol: My little hobbitses.|
Favorite Quotes:Gandalf: You cannot pass!|Smeagol: We don't need you!|Sloth: Hey you guys!|
Advertisement
Language, by and large, doesn''t matter in a CS education. They do matter once you start programming for real, but the things you learn in CS education (in any language) matter too, often even more than language.

I would recommend taking another two CS classes, and then spend the rest of your college time taking as much math as possible. I find that most CS things are fairly intuitive and easy to grasp once you read up on them, and there''s lots of good reference material on the web. Meanwhile, if you lack a solid foundation in math, there are many doors of advanced topics that will be locked to you.

Also, any comp sci you learn now is likely obsolete 10 years from now. Not so with math. I took more comp sci than I suggest here, and I didn''t take all the math I could have, and I regret it now.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
I have used, on the job, something from every single math course I took (and I took all the undergrad math courses offered).
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement