C++ book...

Started by
13 comments, last by microbe 20 years, 6 months ago
If you are an experienced programmer in any language, then I highly recomend starting with Accelerated C++. It teaches you the most useful, high level contructs of the language first so that you are more productive sooner. Almost always, these are the correct ways to code clean c++ as well, so you learn good habits first (the code
in the book is beautiful).

The sales pitch is "This book won''t teach you everything to know about c++. But you do have to know everything in this book."

This is completely true imho.

If you want a tutorial that flshes out other parts of the language, then I would read either the free e-book "Thinking in C++" (do a google on bruce eckel, go to his mindview page and dl th e book", or the C++ Primer (a reference and a tutorial in one).

After about 3 months with c++, I''d move onto the effective c++ books by Meyers (it won''t be useful until you have a solid grasp of the core language and oop...well it might be useful but it won''t make sense).
Advertisement
If you are an experienced programmer in any language, then I highly recomend starting with Accelerated C++. It teaches you the most useful, high level contructs of the language first so that you are more productive sooner. Almost always, these are the correct ways to code clean c++ as well, so you learn good habits first (the code
in the book is beautiful).

The sales pitch is "This book won''t teach you everything to know about c++. But you do have to know everything in this book."

This is completely true imho.

If you want a tutorial that flshes out other parts of the language, then I would read either the free e-book "Thinking in C++" (do a google on bruce eckel, go to his mindview page and dl th e book"), or the C++ Primer (a reference and a tutorial in one).

After about 3 months with c++, I''d move onto the effective c++ books by Meyers (it won''t be useful until you have a solid grasp of the core language and oop...well it might be useful but it won''t make sense).
I returned ''Learn to Program with C++'' by John Smiley, I didn''t like the way he teaches....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Founder of:
"Game on Gaming"
www.gameongaming.tk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
------------------------------------------My on-going quest: www.johnomahony.tk"Production Programmer" for Red Goat Gameswww.redgoatgames.com------------------------------------------
I have got many books and found most of them werent that good. I tried Accelerated C++, but it moved too quickly and was kinda sketchy. I tried C++ Primer Plus, but it confused me and jumped around a lot. Now I seem to be getting along nicely with Object Oriented Programming with C++ by Lafore and Sams C++ in 21 days.
http://www.geocities.com/asdasd12345/
I got C++ Primer Plus(3rd edition) before taking computer science.. It was a hell of alot better than the Textbook they got us to get.. Great book, and unlike other books it''s an easy read.. And very thourough

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement