C++ book...

Started by
13 comments, last by microbe 20 years, 6 months ago
I'm just curious about a C++ book I saw on Amazon. It's title is "the complete idiots guide to c++". From what I've read so far it seems to have rave reviews over it from people that have learned off of it. I'm wondering if anyone has used this book or knows if it's actually a good book to learn C++ from. The title obviously sounds a bit suspect, but I hear that regardless of the "complete idiot" title, it is actually a great book to learn the language from. Please let me know your experience with the book. [edited by - microbe on October 14, 2003 4:53:55 AM]
Advertisement
I can''t speak about *this particular* book from experience, but in general, anything with "for idiots" in the title means exactly that. Only resort to them if you''ve tried to learn from a real book and failed. They explain things in terms a toddler could understand, and sacrifice a lot of important detail in the process. These books will do nothing more than get your feet wet, and you typically need much more than that.
-------------"On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
"C++ Complete Desk Referance for Dummies" - The only dummies C++ book worth buying.

"Accelerated C++" A nice small book that teaches C++ in an unorthodox method.

"C++ in plain English" Like a dictionary for C++, with tutorials in the back. I highly recommend this one for anyone. It makes an excellent desk referance, and it''s cheap.

"SAMS C++ in 10 minutes" Not a bad little book if you do all the excercises.

Really it doesn''t matter too much what book you get, as long as you do the exercises. I still recommend getting at least 2 c++ books because every author has something to offer, and some authors teach you bad habits.
Sams C++ in 10 minutes???????????

Am I retarted for taking 2 months to learn C++ thoroughly?!?!?!

Cheers.
quote:Original post by ThomasSauder
Am I retarted for taking 2 months to learn C++ thoroughly?!?!?!

No, but you must be retarded if you think you''ve come anywhere near learning C++ in only 2 months.

I''m currently going through "C++ From the Ground Up: Third Edition" and its great so far.
I''m reading (actually rereading) Ivor Horton''s Beginning Visual C++ 6. It''s easy to understand, extremely detailed (if not repetitive at times) and, for me, a great way to learn Vis C++.
What do you guys think of "C++ Primer Plus (4th Edition)"? Would this be a good book for novices? Thanks in advance.............

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Founder of:
"Game on Gaming"
www.gameongaming.tk
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
------------------------------------------My on-going quest: www.johnomahony.tk"Production Programmer" for Red Goat Gameswww.redgoatgames.com------------------------------------------
Where''s all the ''Learn to Program with C++'' by John Smiley love?

I find it an awesome book, but doesn''t teach you necassarily everything. You should have another book to learn the more advanced topics along with this one.
I have gone through two introductory books to get myself to know the basics of C++. Teach Yourself C++ in 21 days was my first one.. and it taught me a lot of the basics but oh boy did it only scratch the surface. Then I had to buy C++ How to Program and it was more advanced than my previous one and I fell better with my C++. Then I got my hands very dirty and then well I bought Effective C++, More Effective C++, Modern C++ Design, Exceptional C++ and More Exceptional C++. Now I feel like I have a very good grasp of C++. Wew, went right off topic.. anyway I never heard about that idiot C++ book so I probably wouldn''t buy it, go search for another one.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement