College Project Need Guidance

Started by
3 comments, last by RonanHayes 20 years, 6 months ago
Hey there, its that time of year again where I embark on over ambitious college projects..... And yup this year its a Game. So Im looking for sample code: Base Classes ---------------------------- Samples that show how to setup proper industry style base engines, I''ve been reading the enginuity article and adapting it to DirectX and Win32 is there any others that I should be looking at? Scene Management ---------------------------- Ok so the game is going to be an exact clone of BF1942, so what type of scene management system did they use, My initial assumption is an OCT-Tree, does anyone know of places for sample code and papers on it, tutorials or anything. What others Scene Management systems could I use? BSP I have already done for college so thats out of the question, what about Quad trees any suggestions, Perhaps ROAM or some terrain modeller? DirectX 9.0 ---------------------------- Down to the guts of it, any good full working samples of rendering Scenes and Other things in DirectX 8, 9. I have been looking at the donuts sample and seems pretty straight forward. So I guess I will be basing my work of that. And adding theory, but is there any other good resources? DirectPlay ---------------------------- So networking it seems to be anyone got any good samples or guides on developing a directplay network that supports 32 players or more, Anything at all. DirectSound ---------------------------- Samples that show how to develop a system that supports full audio and efficient loading of music from the hard-drive while loading games??? Im not sure if I missed anything, but Im sure I will be back with more questions in a week or so. Anyway keep those resources flying my way. Cheers Ronan
Advertisement
quote:Original post by RonanHayes
Hey there, its that time of year again where I embark on over ambitious college projects.....

Ok so the game is going to be an exact clone of BF1942...

this definitely comes under ambitious. although im tempted to think that maybe this is another of those dud posts put up as a joke

Get busy livin'' or get busy dyin''... - Shawshank Redemption
If a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - Unknown
Altered Vision
Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'... - Shawshank RedemptionIf a man is talking in the forest, and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong? - UnknownFulcrum
I''d hope so
www.gametutorials.com has octree tutorials in the opengl section. Yeah i know you want DirectX but the principles behind the octree will be the same. There are also terrain tuts there too.
::fart::
quote:Original post by RonanHayes
Ok so the game is going to be an exact clone of BF1942...

If by exact clone of BF1942 you mean it''s going to be much simpler than BF1942 but the same premise, have fun. If you mean what you say, "exact clone," I hope this college project isn''t due for another 2 years...

If you want to get started with Direct3D (which it sounds like from your "DirectX 9.0" section), get a book called Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX, by Jim Adams. It''s DirectX 8.0, and has a lot of other stuff about C++ and WinAPI that you can skip over, and it''s intended for RPGs, but alot of what you do in the book crosses the genres.

You''re asking very broad questions that are hard to respond to on a forum. The best advice I can give you is to look at books and the SDK documentation, as well as tutorials online (but if you get the book, you should look on the net after looking through the book''s index)
----Erzengel des Lichtes光の大天使Archangel of LightEverything has a use. You must know that use, and when to properly use the effects.♀≈♂?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement