Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Agemaniac

Tokamak Physics

i am wondering to use tokamak to my game (air-battle simulation). I just fall in the first question: Can i use it? can i use it to simule a car in the terrain and planes flying? if yes, how can i make my terrain? does it support tri-meshes? is it fast enough to simulate 100, or more objects. (should i use missiles and other projectiles as rigidy body?). Thanks!

Download the SDK and try out the samples. It looks *very* impressive (I especially like the rag-doll demos ). Also take a look at the headers/docs and decide whether you like the API (and can figure it out). I'd be using it myself but it seems limited to windows binaries (maybe they'll do other platform compiles if you ask, but that's a little tricky). Whether or not that is a limitation depends on your requirements.

Yes to all of your questions (though they are quite vague so specific answers are hard). I would suspect it would work well for most of an air-battle sim, although it won't do realistic air-flow modelling so you'd need to build that yourself (if that was what you wanted).

Up to you if you'd want to model missles etc. as rigid bodies, I don't see any real problems with doing that.

[edited by - JuNC on October 14, 2003 5:04:00 PM]

Thanks..!! i was just worried about the frame rate of the game. To much projectiles would slow down the simul. I will try to implement it. Just a implementation question now:

i´m look to the sample 8 and saw a car simulated using sensors. so the function GetDetectDepth() returns values that can be used by the simulation. i use it but GetDetectDepth just return values diferent of zero when the object with the sensor and another one collide.
So, when i have a sensor witch direction is (0,-40,0) in a box (4,4,4)falling from the position (0,50,0) to the ground (another box) the function just return the value 39.8 when the objects collide. it doesnt return values 1, 2, 3 ,4, when the object is falling. it is strage because i thought my code is the same from the example 8. does someone figure out what is happening...
thanks again!

Tokamak or any physics engines should be able to handle 100s of simple rigid bodies, especially if they have no links (ragdolls), and are sparsely populated around the level (no stacking of boxes and things like that). For a flight sims, it looks ideal. I''m would think it even have a ray casting system and a particle system, very simple point objects used for projectiles and others. Ideal for missiles and bullets.

You''ll probably need to implement a space partitioning methods for your static geometry and terrains, like an octree or a quadtree. Usually, physics engines can query your partitioning algorithm to return a pool of triangles inside a volume.