estimate on game pls?

Started by
5 comments, last by tc3 20 years, 6 months ago
how long do you think it would take to make a demo of this game: >3d >3d engines that can be tooken apart >actualy put on things like new intake manifolds and stuff >cars >tuning timing and carb >somewhat good physics for now >mutiplayer over lan for now(server later) >support for mutiple controllers(steeringwheel, shifter) if i know a lil of c++ and am in java class which is similar, and want to program in c++ and opengl... i think it would probobly be a year or something like that but what do you guys think??
Advertisement
Hi.

If anybody wants to do anything in programming they must thoroughly understand the language which they will primarily use. If you just know a little C++, then it will take you a very long time to accomplish your goal. Not to dissapoint you. If you know college mathematics, and physics already, you will be able to accomplish your goal after devoting time to a good text such as The C++ Programming Language. I''ve bought a few C++ books and most were a waste compared to this TC++PL.

Good luck!
yell honestly i have no money to spend on books, dont have a job yet and when i get one im saving for car...

but how about just getting an engine on a test stand and getting it to work a little bit of it... how long would that take, just the engine and a few models which i already made...
Thats all going to depend on the hours you put to it each week, the actual programming knowledge you have, and how fast you are able to learn.. each person works at a different pace, so its hard to say how long something like that would take, also saying your going to make an engine isn''t very detailed. you could have an engine that doesn''t really do much, or you could have an engine that you just need to give a car model and a track in some format and you have a game..

I would say since your just starting that you should keep your goals small, if you really want to do C++ and OpenGL then start there and go through NEHE''s tutorials.. and then once you have that knowledge you''ll have a bunch of code to start with to help you start and you''ll have a better idea how everything would work..

After that I''d start with a simple car game at the most (basically just take your Idea and just remove the tricky parts) this way you''ll have a game that you can work on and make better rather then a mess that will someday a long time for now maybe become a game..

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
thanks for input, but now i have another question..., i realy dont want this to be an war thread like every other one is but if i want mutiplayer over lan and someday over internet once i get a server and controllers would that be easyer with directx...

thanks much...
Well DirectX has whats called DirectPlay which I beleive is used for Network Playing games.. OpenGL is just for graphics its self where DirectX has all sorts of different components to do different things like Input, Sound, Graphics, ect.

I use SDL with C++ which allows you to use OpenGL and gives you networking and input control.. It might be something to look at.

But overall there is nothing that would stop you from using OpenGL for the graphics and then adding the networking with DirectX.. so just go with whatever you like best.

Please visit Turt99 Productions
FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER OR MY BLOG
well i like the way open gl is coded so ill go with that... thanks all for input..

and btw i went to your site and tried your game, its really cool but when i got to the second stage it just dissapeared after a few seconds...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement