Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Synex

Large Integers Problem...

Hi there... Let me explain my situation and then my question so you can (hopefully) understand. I''ve managed to export a galaxy map from a game into an Access db. The galaxy map consists of stars with coords in doubles - numbers ranging from -5.08743946216136E+33 to 3.36522971264518E+33 with middle values of about -1.49878399698404E+14 My problems comes with this... So far, I''ve been dividing these HUGE numbers by 1E+30, to get them all down to between +/- 10000.0. However this causes a problem with the numbers that are only E+14, as they loose all form of accuracy they ever had and all tend to round down to 0.0, meaning that I have many ''stars'' on my map lying along the 0.0 x,y,z boundaries... If anyone understands my problem please post and gimme a hand!!! Cheers, Chris

What''s the problem? Is that not what you expected to happen? What do you want to happen? If you want to get it more evenly spaced, then you can, perhaps divide it by a logorithmic scale, though I don''t know why you''d want to do that.

For the most part, it works well, as most of the numbers just shrink... However, most of the numbers in the E+25 to E+15 range get way way to small and just round down to 0.0 and sit exactly on the axis...

Any recommendations as to how to get around this problem? Can I setup an OpenGL app to show things that are +/- 1E+33 ?