Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

All aboard the GUI boat!

This topic is 5172 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there!! I am using DX9.0 and C++. I want to build a GUI for a game. Basically it would have all characteristics of a "normal" GUI: title bars, edit controls, list controls, buttons, etc. I have read many tutes and articles, and about all of them were using blitting for painting their windows and controls. Is this the only way to do it or can I use texturing also. I figured the mouse cursor could as well be a small textured quad, and a window with an edit control could be a bigger textured quad, with a smaller overlayed quad being the edit control? Your opinions? ph0ng^_^wh0ng

If you want to render a GUI in 2D you can use everything you want! Just render 2D triangles and everything is possible.
To make your life a lot more easy you could use sprites (see: D3DXCreateSprite for more info), this wil make drawing of texture in 2D a lot more easy...

Cheers,

Your on the right track ph0ngwh0ng. I recently developed a GUI using C++ and DX9 and it really wasn''t that bad. I used transformed (RHW) vertices. (These are vertices already in screen space). I created a "Widget" class which all other controls (dialog boxes, title bars, edit boxes, etc) inherit from. A widget basically just draws a textured quad at its position on the screen. It''s important to realize that each widget has a pointer to its parent and an array of its children widgets.

So for each type of control you want you just derive a class from the Widget and add whatever functionality you need. Another tip I can give you is that if you want your parent controls to clip their children (e.g. a resizable dialog box which clips its children) you can use IDirect3DDevice9::SetViewport so that widgets only draw within their clipped space.

Hope this made some sense. Heres an early development shot of the GUI I was working on:

Thats an edit box in the dialog with the button. Dialogs can be resized.

ATS