SDL default resolution

Started by
6 comments, last by clum 20 years, 6 months ago
When I used to use GLUT to set up my OpenGL fullscreen game, I was able to just to use glutEnterGameMode() to enter full screen at the current resolution of the user''s desktop. However, now that I use SDL, the SDL_SetVideoMode has resolution and bit depth as required parameters. Is there a way in SDL to go full screen but leave the current resolution as it is? I want to do this because a) it comes up with a reasonable resolution at start up, without the user having to choose a resolution and b) if I recall correctly, in GLUT it went considerably faster then when I manually specified the video mode for some reason, even when I gave the same resolution as my current desktop settings (don''t ask me why).
Zorx (a Puzzle Bobble clone)Discontinuity (an animation system for POV-Ray)
Advertisement
Does no-one know?
i dont know much about sdl, so if i give you advice that goes against it, just ignore it...

but i would suggest checking out the DEVMODE structure and the ChangeDisplaySettings() over at msdn

its really easy to change the display, just fill out a dm structure and pass it in the function, it tells you if the change was successfull, and when your done, you can call ChangeDisplaySettings(NULL,0); to go back to what the user had before you changed it (ie: loads it from registry)...

Otherwise, if this doesnt help you, sorry... I cant even find glut.h on my computer (visual studio .net, and the file isnt even in the gl folder... )

good day
--FirekingOwner/LeaderFiregames Development &Blackdragon Studios
I''m not using Windows, so I wouldn''t have access to any Microsoft functions. Also, I don''t believe that glut comes with Windows (or MSVC) unlike OpenGL, though you can download it for free.
Have you tried SDL_GetVideoInfo, the page states:

"This function returns a read-only pointer to information about the video hardware. If this is called before SDL_SetVideoMode, the vfmt member of the returned structure will contain the pixel format of the "best" video mode."

perhaps this best video mode is the current?

Proud aedGUI developer.
Use GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXFULLSCREENx) and GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXFULLSCREENY) to get current resolution in Windows operating system.
Sometimes movement is a result of a kick in the ass!
*looks 2 posts above idinkin''s post where the OP says he isnt using windows*
:|
I tried Kwizatz''s GetVideoMode, but the structure returned doesn''t say anything about resolution! It did give me bit depth, though. Thank you. I browsed a bit around their web site a bit more and it turns out that SDL_ListModes returns a list of available resolutions so I just took the first one. For some reason, I tried every resolution in the array between 0 and 5 (I didn''t go further) and they all were just 1024X768 (my current resolution)! I''m not sure what the point is of having 6 copies of the same resolution.

So, thank you everyone for there replies. All of your attempts to help are much appreciated.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement