Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fence36

Designing for future hardware

I was looking at the latest doom 3 screenshots and was wondering how they design the game for such fast hardware when that hardware might not be available. For example the system requirements state that a Athlon XP 3000+ and an ATI Raedon 9800 Pro are needed to take full advantage of the games surreal effects. More specifically, what do they develop the game on to test it if the hardware required for the game has not hit the consumer market? <-- When the Doom 3 project started the hardware listed as the system requirements was not on the market yet. If this sounds confusing, it is probably because I asked the question in the most difficult way.

Guest Anonymous Poster
I think card manafactures give them preproduction model cards. Or perhaps the specs for them and work closely with them. They did this for Doom3 and Half Life 2.

-ddn

I think they knew what was comming (specs were given to them by manafacturers) and had software emulation.
DirectX 9 already has software emulation for the next generating graphics cards, so you can start working on code for them now.

(keep in mind that obviously the hardware manafacturers obviously do software emulation of there new card design before the hardware part even starts up, so by the time they start working on the hardware they have a pritty good idea of what the card will do.)

definatly software emulation. i''m sure a studio as large as ID has systems with dual cpus and can write graphics code to run parallel on a sister cpu instead of a graphics card gpu. also working in coalition with graphics card manufacturers and getting inside scoops can help them out alot. by the time they''re done developing the core systems to the graphics then there may be hardware out that they targetted for and then the graphics routines can be rewritten from working in software on a sister cpu to using the graphics cards that will be in their market window.