Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DotDKay

Any books on the topic: "First Person Shooter"?

Hey Im currently considering buying a game programming book, and i found alot of interresting books like: "Strategy Game Programming With DirectX 9" "Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX" "Real Time Strategy Game Programming Using DirectX" But are there any books out there covering the subject First Person Shooter, i would prefer a book that assumes you are new in game programming(never tried it before . If there aren´t any good books out there can you recommend any websites/tutorial og upcomming books that i might wait for?

Have you ever programmed anything before? If not I suggest you start with a non-graphical book about C++, and then get a book on OpenGL, Direct3D, or you''re favorite other graphics API. Then, if you understand the concepts of 3D graphics, physics, and the like you can probably create an FPS without a book specifically designed for them.

cowsareevil: Quit being a flamer... he asked a simple question, and all you have to do is provide an answer.

DotDKay: I''m pretty sure OpenGL Game Programming teaches you how to program an engine using OpenGL and it''s end result is a game called Time to Kill, and it''s a FPS. (By no means is it great, but something to build up on?)

Cheers.

quote:
Original post by ThomasSauder
cowsareevil: Quit being a flamer... he asked a simple question, and all you have to do is provide an answer.

Um, what the heck? I'm not being a "flamer," I'm just telling him that he probably doesn't need a book specific to first person shooters. If you can find anything insulting in my comments, I'll be shocked. And besides, you're book isn't specifically for first person shooters either.

EDIT: However, randomly accusing people of flaming others can be insulting.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on October 14, 2003 7:49:03 PM]

Sorry, by all means then...

It just seemed kind of harsh to the question he asked

quote:

Have you ever programmed anything before? If not I suggest you start with a non-graphical book about C++, and then get a book on OpenGL, Direct3D, or you''re favorite other graphics API. Then, if you understand the concepts of 3D graphics, physics, and the like you can probably create an FPS without a book specifically designed for them.

Sorry about calling you a flammer :D I just thought he would have wanted an honest answer to his question. OpenGL Game Programming does show you how to make a FPS using what you''ve learned though. Oh well. I retract my flammer statement since that is not what you inteded.

Cheers.

I only made the quoted statement because the OP said "i would prefer a book that assumes you are new in game programming(never tried it before ." and not because I doubted his skill. I didn''t know whether he had programmed before and just not games, or if he was just beginning. And yes, OpenGL Game Programming does have an FPS, but it''s hardly a book on first person shooters. No offence to you intended either, of course

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I think you got the answer. On a side note: I think we got off on the wrong foot cows...

Nice to meet you, the names Thomas.

Cheers.

all u need to know is to do basic things with dx9, eg render textures, sprites, vertices ,animation, meshes etc.

Then use the view and for first person make it move around close to the objects, strategy u put it high in the air etc.

Programmign the games isnt that different from the things u need to know...

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Then you probably wouldn''t need a book specifically catered to first person shooters. Try it on your own, and ask questions in the forums.

STUPID KID!!! (btw. his 13 :D!!!)

Guest Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
quote:
Original post by cowsarenotevil
Then you probably wouldn''t need a book specifically catered to first person shooters. Try it on your own, and ask questions in the forums.

STUPID KID!!! (btw. his 13 :D!!!)

He''s only 13, but he sure knows quite a bit for his age...