Any books on the topic: "First Person Shooter"?

Started by
11 comments, last by DotDKay 20 years, 6 months ago
Hey Im currently considering buying a game programming book, and i found alot of interresting books like: "Strategy Game Programming With DirectX 9" "Programming Role-Playing Games with DirectX" "Real Time Strategy Game Programming Using DirectX" But are there any books out there covering the subject First Person Shooter, i would prefer a book that assumes you are new in game programming(never tried it before . If there aren´t any good books out there can you recommend any websites/tutorial og upcomming books that i might wait for?
Advertisement
Have you ever programmed anything before? If not I suggest you start with a non-graphical book about C++, and then get a book on OpenGL, Direct3D, or you''re favorite other graphics API. Then, if you understand the concepts of 3D graphics, physics, and the like you can probably create an FPS without a book specifically designed for them.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Yeah, i have programmed many years in C++, so i have a lot of experience on that area.
Then you probably wouldn''t need a book specifically catered to first person shooters. Try it on your own, and ask questions in the forums.
cowsareevil: Quit being a flamer... he asked a simple question, and all you have to do is provide an answer.

DotDKay: I''m pretty sure OpenGL Game Programming teaches you how to program an engine using OpenGL and it''s end result is a game called Time to Kill, and it''s a FPS. (By no means is it great, but something to build up on?)

Cheers.
quote:Original post by ThomasSauder
cowsareevil: Quit being a flamer... he asked a simple question, and all you have to do is provide an answer.

Um, what the heck? I'm not being a "flamer," I'm just telling him that he probably doesn't need a book specific to first person shooters. If you can find anything insulting in my comments, I'll be shocked. And besides, you're book isn't specifically for first person shooters either.

EDIT: However, randomly accusing people of flaming others can be insulting.

[edited by - cowsarenotevil on October 14, 2003 7:49:03 PM]
Sorry, by all means then...

It just seemed kind of harsh to the question he asked

quote:
Have you ever programmed anything before? If not I suggest you start with a non-graphical book about C++, and then get a book on OpenGL, Direct3D, or you''re favorite other graphics API. Then, if you understand the concepts of 3D graphics, physics, and the like you can probably create an FPS without a book specifically designed for them.

Sorry about calling you a flammer :D I just thought he would have wanted an honest answer to his question. OpenGL Game Programming does show you how to make a FPS using what you''ve learned though. Oh well. I retract my flammer statement since that is not what you inteded.

Cheers.
I only made the quoted statement because the OP said "i would prefer a book that assumes you are new in game programming(never tried it before ." and not because I doubted his skill. I didn''t know whether he had programmed before and just not games, or if he was just beginning. And yes, OpenGL Game Programming does have an FPS, but it''s hardly a book on first person shooters. No offence to you intended either, of course
Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I think you got the answer. On a side note: I think we got off on the wrong foot cows...

Nice to meet you, the names Thomas.

Cheers.
Hi. (I don''t have much else to say about myself )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement