Think about this, if you can. ;)

Started by
41 comments, last by Warsong 20 years, 6 months ago
Alpha_progdes
I replied to what you said in the other posts since you said it in their.

Jamaludin
Pleasing the masses is another thing and doesn’t take good game design to do so. But to please the big masses you give them what they can’t normally have like the sex violence profanity and so on. Kind of like that board game that I talked about in the general lounge gansterolopy but I think it’s actually called ghetoopoly. I said a bit about how the masses want that. But to please the masses you have to be in marketing to know what pushes their buttons and entices them in a good and bad way, which that is a different skill altogether it seems.
-----------------------
Sandman
Game tests lol yeah I know how it works and where you have to go which sucks since it’s so far. I seen like a 30 min documentary about them, and it is not a good way but a narrow way to get in. Basically you have to be a master at playing a game and many of them can beat a heavy hard game within a few hours which takes the average person days or weeks. They get paid like $20 an hour but that''s because it’s tedious, annoying, and tiring and many don''t want to even play the game that they tested again and are sick of it.

I think the game designers should hire newbie’s as assistance to learn, or the newbie designer’s work with the newbie programmers to make a small game, which that''s a suggestion. But that''s not the problem in what you say and I agree that they have a line of people waiting to want to design, which if they accompany that that would mean more programmers, and then you need more money to market it, which if they all come out at the same time they would be competing with each other on who will sell which will hurt them it seems. But that''s just a guess and I could be wrong.

Yeah you are right I that why would a company want to get new designers when they have experienced ones in their company. But it’s strange how they don''t act like other companies in their hiring in a way, and the game companies close themselves off like a club was said in a report about them.

I agree with about the inexperienced games designer issue. But they also have to learn the ropes of the company since that''s another aspect and the game industry should have a guideline or little test like what I was getting at. A designer testing himself in the market would be like an architect testing himself in the field without showing what he got in his grades. IQ tests test a bit of creativity in how people can sot thing and organize things, and so on that certain parts of IQ can indicate. The game industry should use that in away.

Yes they will go into risks to make an unknown person make an unknown game which is why if they are good in design they should first design and make a cheaply made game and sell it in cartage with other newbie ideas is one way. Or just sell the games cheap since all games when they are new are unknown in the game play but the difference is price sometimes. So if a new game designer game was sold it should be sold in a cheap price but would mean that it should be made just as cheap. These are just suggestions. And many things can be done to the game to be sold like advertisements in games to the new games. Catapult math sponsored by the math institute, or by General Motors. The companies look good for supporting educational thing and the game gets sold. I just think there is always a solution once they put their minds to it.

As for the smaller publishers will they make the game for you? I think that companies (Capcom, Nintendo) should make a better game engine so that they don''t waste time using so many programmers to do the basic things since most games are basic and then have a programmer to do extra things.

Thanks for the link ill check it out later. Question, have you made a game yet?
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Warsong
I think the game designers should hire newbie’s as assistance to learn, or the newbie designer’s work with the newbie programmers to make a small game, which that''s a suggestion.

What for? Newbies are generally good for nothing and you have to teach them everything. A designers job is difficult enough as it is, you don´t wanna do teaching on the job on top of that. The only thing that occasionally happens is that assistant designers get hired on to take over routine tasks such as GD maintenance, collecting ideas, etc. But those people aren´t "newbies", they´re usually people from one of the other fields (programming, Q&A, etc.) or new people who have by way of portfolio (i.e. playable games, design documents, etc.) shown what they´re capable of.

IQ tests test a bit of creativity in how people can sot thing and organize things, and so on that certain parts of IQ can indicate. The game industry should use that in away.

Could you please tell me what test you are referring to? The common IQ tests (Stanford-Binet, HAWI...) do NOT measure creativity as an item, and I know of no test that specifically measures the dimensions you mentioned. If you´re really looking for a test I´d suggest looking into the theories of multiple intelligences by Gardner. There is also a test for it which you might be able to adapt.

Still, the requirements for a game designer are so specific that I still don´t believe that it´s feasible to construct a test for it. There just aren´t that many design applicants to make large-scale testing necessary or feasible.

Yes they will go into risks to make an unknown person make an unknown game which is why if they are good in design they should first design and make a cheaply made game and sell it in cartage with other newbie ideas is one way. Or just sell the games cheap since all games when they are new are unknown in the game play but the difference is price sometimes. So if a new game designer game was sold it should be sold in a cheap price but would mean that it should be made just as cheap.

Unfortunately it doesn´t work that way, since traditionally development costs are usually about or less than half of the total publishing costs. That´s the reason why sometimes finished games don´t get put on the shelves.
The only possibility here would be online marketing, but that still provides much less sales than the traditional store marketing.

As for the smaller publishers will they make the game for you?

absolutely not. ever.

I think by now you should know enough about how games get made to start making some of your own - at first you´re not going to do more than a small tech or playable demo anyway, and that can be done alone or with the help of some people from the web.
Hase
LOL newbie’s good for nothing LOL well it depends if the new guy is good or bad.

IQ tests don''t only for math and language but deal with thing about thinking and spotting out things which are good for creating in my opinion. For example see patters or solve puzzles. I am not saying those are the, be all end all but the better someone is at them it helps.

As for publishing I know it doesn’t work that way but I am saying some suggestions and they can find ways to sell it like putting it as a bonus game inside a big game. They should make online stores more popular and part of the main stream but that will take a while for many reasons which one problem is you have to wait until they mail it to you.

As for small publisher I was asking Sandman since he said something like that which I didn’t get that fully. I didn’t think so as well like you said. I tried to do a shooter demo but the programmer got busy with school and life and came out with a ½ worked up demo. So I decided to make a small game that takes a week than a good game that takes more work. You mostly see programmers wanting the mmorpg or however you call them and I am not into those. I know an artist that is making a game and he says he is lucky to find a dedicated programmer since I met many that programmers leave projects since they have their own problems, want to take credit for doing nothing, lack the abilities, or have their own agendas and don''t care for others games. Many don''t want to do demos but commercial games. Also I don''t trust to pay someone if they are not in person.

Also I read that you said that you made a shooter game to someone in the help wanted. I saw their game and I didn’t care for it. Have you seen the shooter idea I posed up here before? Also what’s the link to you game so I can see it?
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement