Think about this, if you can. ;)

Started by
41 comments, last by Warsong 20 years, 6 months ago
Since some lost the point to the last post even though they did say some good ideas about pong and it seems to have been a good exercise, so I decide to explain it more. Here is an analogy: Input - grade errors = output I tell you 10 thing - you forget 3 things = implement 7 things) 1For your mind: Reading an informative book = learning (input); Shows how much you learned = test by filling in the blanks (rules to see your grade); Implementing by solving things = working (output) 2 for your muscles Weight lifting = building muscle (input); Lifting to your max = test (having rules to see your strength level); Implementing by moving thing = working (output) 3 aiming a gun Trying to aim and hold the gun = learning (input); Aiming at marks = test (having rules to see your grade level); Implementing by being in the army = working (output) 4 so for designing where are we???????????????????? Learning basic aspects to balance things out = learning (input); ??Filling in blanks of existing examples= test (having rules to see your grade level); Implementing by designing games = working (output) (Yes I know I could have structured that well but you get the examples?) ---------------------------------------------` So if some say they can design and are creative then why not take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward by doing what the first and second examples to be for design? Did anyone think about this or is this the hardest design of them all? Just trying to make people think! Also why I restricted thing in the other post is because to make people squeeze every thing that can be done about one thing. We are not creative by how many things we have but of how little things we have. For example who is a better fighter? One that fights with their hands is skilled enough to take on another with a sword. Just because they win in a tie doesn’t mean it is a tie. One that can make $1,000 with $1 or one that can make $1,000 with $10,000. If you can squeeze every design idea to one simple thing then you can make better ideas when you have more. Because when that person that can make $1 to $1,000 then when they get the $1,000 how much more can they make you know what I mean? ================` Companies hire someone based on their level and no one hires as much new designers unlike new programmers that can show how good they are in their tests. Companies and others can’t see the person grade of design no matter what game you show since the testing ground for it now is actual work, which you can’t get work without experience of work. So can anyone make a test that is headed to the right direction? Don’t you think to fill in blanks of what games are missing or lacking is a good way? Math tests were like that. YES? NO? This is a premier game design site, so don’t some think that we can come up with something? Or is this too hard and you want to let this evaluation go? Don''t sing me a song :''( noooooooooo
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
Advertisement
wow. you really are pretentious. how many of these "if you really think you're a good designer" threads are you gonna use to make whatever point it is you're trying to make?

[edited by - syn_apse on October 14, 2003 8:02:50 PM]
ill find me a soapbox where i can shout it
I''m hoping that the attitude in your postings is simply a writing problem, and not intentional.

In any case, to avoid further flames I would strongly suggest you word your thread titles, and messages more carefully. (Also run them through a spell check... though I am not one who should suggest others use spell check )

Let the flames begin!
- Jacob
"1 is equal to 2 for significantly large quantities of 1" - Anonymous
you know?

how many AAA titles have you shipped, warsong, that you keep challenging everyone else''s right to call themselves a game designer?
--- krez ([email="krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net"]krez_AT_optonline_DOT_net[/email])
I made my point. Didn’t you read the questions? This is why I explained it differently thinking that maybe I didn’t say it well but it’s obvious that you didn’t even think it though. If you can answer the question then you should not be replying at all since your didn’t give an effort.

I see someone else tried to spin off my post but they over complicated it and made it too broad which takes up more time.

As for my wring what did I say? I don’t think I have an attitude it’s just the way I talk, which I guess it’s harsh. I said a lot which tends be more annoying to find errors as well.

If people can’t answer or solve then question then they should not reply at all.

Don''t sing me a song :''( noooooooooo
***Power without perception is useless, which you have the power but can you perceive?"All behavior consists of opposites. Learn to see backward, inside out and upside down."-Lao Tzu,Tao Te Ching Fem Nuts Doom OCR TS Pix mc NRO . .
don''t you get it fool? i don''t care about your bullshit question.
quote:Original post by syn_apse
don't you get it fool? i don't care about your bullshit question.

Very creative person you are. Is calling names and foul language part of your creativity? Well like I said if you can't answer then don’t reply. You failed in many ways and your actions and words show it well. You complained about my last post and many thought it was interesting and replied. So don’t reply since we know you can’t conduct yourself proper or handle the questions.

Good luck

[edited by - warsong on October 14, 2003 9:02:23 PM]
quote:Original post by Warsong
Very creative person you are is calling names part of your creativity? Well like I said if you can answer then don’t reply. You failed in many ways and your actins and words show it well. You complained about my last post and many thought it was interesting and replied. So don’t reply since we know you can’t conduct yourself proper or handle the questions.

we? who the hell is we? who else has given you permission to speak for them? well "we" over here see through your facade, pal. your questions are intellectually dishonest. you are asking about a paradigm that you have defined, and not very well. you have made a decision that you consider not just personal but universal, and you look down your nose at anyone who doesn't care about your rules...

quote:so don’t some think that we can come up with something? Or is this too hard and you want to let this evaluation go?

i'm being evaluated? by who? instead of asking objectively about a test of good design you are asking people to prove themselves to you, so that they can live up to an expectation that has no impact on their real lives.

narcisstic prick. speaks for everyone. stands in judgement.

no sir, good luck to you.

[edited by - syn_apse on October 14, 2003 9:09:25 PM]
Very creative person you are. Is calling names and foul language part of your creativity?

lol

Since some lost the point to the last post even though they did say some good ideas about pong and it seems to have been a good exercise, so I decide to explain it more.

Here is an analogy: Input - grade errors = output
I tell you 10 thing - you forget 3 things = implement 7 things)

1For your mind:
Reading an informative book = learning (input);
Shows how much you learned = test by filling in the blanks (rules to see your grade);
Implementing by solving things = working (output)

2 for your muscles
Weight lifting = building muscle (input);
Lifting to your max = test (having rules to see your strength level);
Implementing by moving thing = working (output)

3 aiming a gun
Trying to aim and hold the gun = learning (input);
Aiming at marks = test (having rules to see your grade level);
Implementing by being in the army = working (output)

4 so for designing where are we????????????????????
Learning basic aspects to balance things out = learning (input);
??Filling in blanks of existing examples= test (having rules to see your grade level);
Implementing by designing games = working (output)

(Yes I know I could have structured that well but you get the examples?)
---------------------------------------------`
So if some say they can design and are creative then why not take 1 step back to take 2 steps forward by doing what the first and second examples to be for design? Did anyone think about this or is this the hardest design of them all? Just trying to make people think!

Also why I restricted thing in the other post is because to make people squeeze every thing that can be done about one thing. We are not creative by how many things we have but of how little things we have.

For example who is a better fighter?
One that fights with their hands is skilled enough to take on another with a sword.
Just because they win in a tie doesn’t mean it is a tie.

One that can make $1,000 with $1 or one that can make $1,000 with $10,000. If you can squeeze every design idea to one simple thing then you can make better ideas when you have more. Because when that person that can make $1 to $1,000 then when they get the $1,000 how much more can they make you know what I mean?
================`
Companies hire someone based on their level and no one hires as much new designers unlike new programmers that can show how good they are in their tests. Companies and others can’t see the person grade of design no matter what game you show since the testing ground for it now is actual work, which you can’t get work without experience of work.

So can anyone make a test that is headed to the right direction?
Don’t you think to fill in blanks of what games are missing or lacking is a good way? Math tests were like that. YES? NO?

This is a premier game design site, so don’t some think that we can come up with something? Or is this too hard and you want to let this evaluation go?

Don''t sing me a song :''( noooooooooo

Okay Warsong, so you are looking for a test of game design ability. Correct? The first thing that would come to my mind is what other people have done about this same problem. The only place I can look to are game development schools that offer game design courses. Now all we need is their input. We need to ask them what type of test questions are there for these classes.

Now that''s settled. My question to you is what''s the point? Instead of focusing on how well we do, why don''t we focus on how to improve as a game designer.
Hmmmm.........Yup!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement