[java] java3D

Started by
9 comments, last by phaelax 20 years, 6 months ago
I''ve heard of something called Java3D. It''s basically a java language for developing 3D applications. Perhaps meant to be pushed into the game development area. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?
Advertisement
Just do a google search for "Java3D" it''ll bring up a TON of info. It''s not a separate language, it''s an API (like swing), and I''m pretty sure it has built-in OpenGL support.
Yes, it''s an API, but "James Brown is dead"...and so is Java3D. However, there are other 3D APIs for Java like Openmind, JPCT, Xith3D...maybe you should pick one of those instead of Java3D.

Its also possible to use OpenGL in Java, which seems to work fairly well. If I remember right, you create a frame, and do all your drawing on that. Here''s a link to a page that has some information, and the download:

http://www.jausoft.com/gl4java.html
GL4Java is outdated too. Look out for LWJGL or JOGL instead, if you want to use OpenGL in Java directly.
Ive tried JOGL, its quite nice, and rather easy to get going. Even tutorials for it on Nehe.
My research has lead me to believe that Java3D is pretty much dead, too. I would suggest trying JOGL. There is an active community developing it. It is hosted at www.java.net.
Comparing JOGL with Java3D is like comparing a pixel-plotting and line-drawing API with Swing. JOGL is a rendering API, not a 3D engine. I''m not saying that one is preferable over the other, but if you a looking for a API.getInstance().loadMesh();-kind of thing, JOGL is not for you.
Does java still have it''s cross-platform support if you use one of those packages...... or do you have to be restricted to win?
garazdawi - 'I put the laughter back in slaughter'
if you use jogl you get win, linux and mac. afaik porting to other systems should be no problem (as long as they have opengl of course).

xith3d is a scengraph that sits on top of jogl, so no difference here.

no sure about java3d but i think its win, linux and mac too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement