Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3D line crashing on Begin()

This topic is 5176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I started implementing ID3DXLine into my D3D application. I''m already using text, sprites, and other primitives. I''m pretty sure I''ve set up everything with the lines okay.. but when I run the program the computer does a hard reboot, and XP will scan the hard drive sometimes. I was debugging it, and found that it could go through the line->Begin() line->Draw() line->End() once, but the next time I tried to call Begin(), crash. Any common error I''m making?? Or should I keep looking over and over my itty bit of code? thanks!

You aren''t doing anything wrong. ID3DXLine basically just sucks, even in the latest SDK. The problems with ID3DXLine have been reported to MS, but it hasn''t been fixed.

I found when I used ID3DXLine that I had to recreate it each frame, or else I got the same problems that you describe. I dont see any way around it. Maybe its something in the device settings that ID3DXLine doesnt like, but even in that case it should never cause a hard reboot. At worst it should give a warning and just not render anything.

I dont know what kind of code ID3DXLine has internally, but I''ve found it appalling to use. I just wrote my own version in the end. It does more than ID3DXLine, and actually works too.