the best mmo...?

Started by
11 comments, last by syn_apse 20 years, 6 months ago
i've never played one. i want to try one out. what is the best one and why? [edited by - syn_apse on October 15, 2003 1:56:10 AM]
ill find me a soapbox where i can shout it
Advertisement
Progress Quest.

Why ? Because it removes all the tedium of the "level mill".
That, and the 3D mode is awesome !

[ Start Here ! | How To Ask Smart Questions | Recommended C++ Books | C++ FAQ Lite | Function Ptrs | CppTips Archive ]
[ Header Files | File Format Docs | LNK2001 | C++ STL Doc | STLPort | Free C++ IDE | Boost C++ Lib | MSVC6 Lib Fixes ]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Anarchy Online is my personal favourite.
SWG has elements I like, but for now that games a stinker imho, but given a year of patching it should be fine

(AO was a stinker for a year or so after launch too, so dont think Im bias against SWG and BS''ing here

-----------------------
"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else''s drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Furcadia. It is free. And addictive. You don''t have to worry about being killed by a twink, because you can''t die. Nobody will rob you, since there is no money. Or any items, for that matter. Free download, free to play, about 2000 players logged on at any time, you can add your own maps if you will. I have done so as well. Seek out the Theatre of Broken Dreams in the Imaginarium, it might be up.
Not many of the ones out there right now are very interesting to me, personally. I played EQ for awhile before I got bored, then I played some AC2 too. Simply put, most of them are very similar and there needs to be something new. I imagine that World of Warcraft is going to be very similar as well, but I''m looking forward to Blizzard''s strong track record to make something great. I think that WoW has a lot of potential to be one of the best.

On a side note, a lot of people like Ragnarok Online, which may or may not be free at this point. It''s an MMORPG more like your tradtional SNES RPGs.

I think that if Morrowind was an MMORPG, with a little update of the combat, it would be awesome. It''s so customizeable, and unlike (most) other games, people could create a lot of unique looks. In existing games, there isn''t much customizability as far as armor goes. In Morrowind however, you can buy individual gauntlets, pauldrons, wear clothes over other clothes (a skirt over, say, chain mail paints looks awesome (like a Roman soldier)) Anyway, too bad it''s not a MMORPG
Peon
I haven''t played one in years but i''d say tradewars, or LORD(legend of the red dragon).

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

quote:Original post by Peon
[...]I think that if Morrowind was an MMORPG, with a little update of the combat, it would be awesome. It''s so customizeable, and unlike (most) other games, people could create a lot of unique looks. In existing games, there isn''t much customizability as far as armor goes. In Morrowind however, you can buy individual gauntlets, pauldrons, wear clothes over other clothes (a skirt over, say, chain mail paints looks awesome (like a Roman soldier)) Anyway, too bad it''s not a MMORPG
I think that quote summarizes my view of MMORPGs very well - they aren''t about the things that RPGs are about, they are about things like fashion, camping monster spawn points, running for hours on end to get somewhere, etc.
Things that are boring to me, personally. So far, the only MMO I''ve played is planetside, which was ok as a free trial but nothing I would pay for. When there is action and you get into an outfit and talk to other ppl etc it can be fun, but then there are times when you have to run for hours to get to action and it loses its appeal. There are also times where there is action but it takes 10-30 minutes to get to it. Then you die, respawn, and have to run for 10 minutes again. Somewhat fun to play, but not worth it to pay.
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
well this sounds depressing. i only asked because my friend told me that the game that i''m working on is more akin to an mmo than anything else, so i figured i should at least try one out (i don''t think he''s ever actually played one either, but just knows from conjecture). although i guess there is encouragement to be found in the fact that there is a massive amount of room for improvement. i guess i''ll be playing one or more of these to find out what not to do, should this game end up being developed professionally as an mmo.

i''ll try some of your suggestions in the next week or so, but i would like to ask what the acronyms stand for. i''m not what i would consider a "gamer", and am blissfully ignorant to most of the games that are out there. i mean, i know EQ means everquest, but that''s about it. AC2? SWG? AO? what do these stand for?
ill find me a soapbox where i can shout it

In my opinion Eve-Online is the best I''ve seen. The graphics are awesome. Having said that, they upgraded their servers today and the whole thing has crashed! But we all get an extra 2 days play-time, free of charge
AC2 = Asheron''s Call 2
SWG = Star Wars Galaxies
AO = Anarchy Online

Tell us about the game you are working on, I would be intersted to hear about it.
Progress does not consist in replacing a theory that is wrong with one that is right. It consists in replacing a theory that is wrong with one that is more subtly wrong.- Hawkins' Theory of Progress

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement