AI rights

Started by
5 comments, last by RuneLancer 20 years, 6 months ago
Interesting article I''ve read (partly, as it''s a little late). This article is a court case of an "intelligent computer" becoming aware that it was to be dismantled. It found itself an attorny (via email) and actually went to court to not be dismantled. Which sounds, I believe we can all agree on, outright like science fiction. Only... the article is bloody large and doesn''t quite sound like a joke. There are, as well, streaming videos of the three court sessions. Quite interesting nevertheless... maybe we''ll be faced with this someday.
Advertisement
"Attorney Dr. Martine Rothblatt filed a motion for a preliminary injunction to prevent a corporation from disconnecting an intelligent computer in a mock trial at the International Bar Association conference in San Francisco, Sept. 16, 2003. The issue could arise in a real court within the next few decades, as computers achieve or exceed the information processing capability of the human mind and the boundary between human and machine becomes increasingly blurred."

Notice the use of the term mock
That would have been your first clue.

Mike
haha
quote:Original post by MikeD
"(...)mock trial(...)"

Notice the use of the term mock
That would have been your first clue.

Can''t believe I missed that. XD

I''d say it was rather early but that''s no excuse. Still, very interesting read...
It was a simulation, not a joke.
Just burn the intelligent program to DVD... that'll solve the problem.

[edited by - falkone on October 16, 2003 10:26:03 PM]
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
quote:Original post by RuneLancer
I''d say it was rather early but that''s no excuse. Still, very interesting read...

You know they have whole shelves full of fantasy literature at the bookstore.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement