Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

who knows where the z-buffer is documented

This topic is 5176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

ok, i found out theres this wicked cool sounding thing called the z buffer. this could be much fun for me as it would allows images to be draw ata anytime and avoid painful hand made oclusion/dithering stuff. i''m using direct draw cause i''m too lazy to do 3d models at this point. soooo since ever search i try here crashes and says to contact thesystem admin, i htought i''d post here and ask does anyone know anything better than the "z-buffers are used for pixel depth" line thats in the sdk documentation? specificaly i want a link or an example. I just wanna get this done.

You can''t use the z-buffer with DirectDraw. Its a D3D thing. And its all in the SDK docs and samples. To use z-buffering in D3D you first have to create a device that has a z-buffer attached (see any of the samples), and then you control the z-testing with the renderstates.

D3DRS_ZENABLE,
D3DRS_ZWRITEENABLE,
D3DRS_ZFUNC

First of all, hardware z-buffers don't work with pure 2d applications. Just draw the sprites in the correct order yourself.

Secondly, there's nothing "magical" about z-buffers, they store the per-pixel depth so that 3d hardware knows which new pixels should be drawn in front of the old geometry.

Thirdly, the sdk does explain it a bit more deeply than you've stated

Conclusion: if you really want to use z-buffering in your pure directdraw app, then you must write your own z-buffer capable blitter (prerequisite of which is that you must understand the concept of z-buffering).

-Nik

EDIT:
Laziness is never a good reason not to do something.

[edited by - Nik02 on October 15, 2003 6:59:57 AM]

Guest Anonymous Poster
if you want to use zbuffer in directrdraw, make it you, make a buffer, and call it zbuffer , now you can store/test here pixel depths