Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

singular value decomposition?

This topic is 5176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I need to solve a homogeneous system A.x = 0, where matrix A has 8 rows and 9 columns. I saw a paper that suggests to use singular value decomposition (SVD) to solve for x. I googled and find defintions of SVD, but I don''t know how to implement it. Also, I think I can use gauss elimination as an alternative method, and it''s easier to implement than SVD. But I heard that SVD is faster. Any suggestions?

As to how to implement it, I found my SVD algorithm in numerical recipies in C ( if I remember correctly ).

When I programmed the algorithm as the book present it, I had a little problem though, the order of the singular value was not 100% correct, so I had to correct it. Again, if I remember correctly, it was something along the line of swapping the last two values ( and corresponding row and column of left and right matrices ).

I don''t know if SVD is the solution for that kind of problem though, I personally used it in a very different context.

Guest Anonymous Poster
This time, Google isn''t your only friend. Numerical Recipes is a valuable ressource for these kind of problems :

http://www.library.cornell.edu/nr/bookcpdf.html (chapter 2.6)

Some code for SVD
http://www.magic-software.com/Source/Math/WmlMatrix3.cpp

if you want to solve a linear system that is Ax=b ( A is matrix x,b :are vectors)
but A is singular you cannot use standart methods ( Gaussian Elimination etc fails ) That why SVD is used.
If you have more equation than independent variable I suggest you to use pseudoinverse. That is something like

x=inverse(AT*A)*AT*b, AT is transpose of A.

quote:
Original post by leinad
What's the purpose of the SVD, I want to know but I'm to lazy to clicky.

Don't be lazy. That will get you fired from McDonald's, .

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

[edited by - grhodes_at_work on October 17, 2003 10:31:18 AM]