Engines vs. "Base Code"

Started by
4 comments, last by boohillie 20 years, 6 months ago
I''ve been working on some "base code" for a while now. My question is, when would it become more than just base code? Is base code and an engine basically the same?
Advertisement
If you use the search here on gamedev you will find way more topics about this

You use your engine as a black box to make a game.

An engine is the encapsulation of all the different parts you would need to make a game. It doesn''t include things like modells or AI but it offers you the possibility to render a scene, acquire input, play a sound and write an error(and some other things )

If you''ve got a real engine the only thing you would need to write a game is include you engine.dll(or just the cpp/h files) and derive your game from it where you declare the AI and load some levels/modells

quote:Original post by Scheermesje
If you use the search here on gamedev you will find way more topics about this

You use your engine as a black box to make a game.

An engine is the encapsulation of all the different parts you would need to make a game. It doesn''t include things like modells or AI but it offers you the possibility to render a scene, acquire input, play a sound and write an error(and some other things )

If you''ve got a real engine the only thing you would need to write a game is include you engine.dll(or just the cpp/h files) and derive your game from it where you declare the AI and load some levels/modells

He was asking what the difference is between them, not what they actually are.

OP: To answer your question: Yes, basecode and engine are basicly the same things. Except maybe that an engine is perhaps larger and more "complete" than some basecode.
The code I''ve been working on, allows me to create a window and get openGL up and running pretty quickly. It does some input, and allows me to add objects to a scene like Sprites. Is this more along the lines of an engine?
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
He was asking what the difference is between them, not what they actually are.

If he would know what they actually where he would know the difference between them

Boohillie: doesn''t sound bad Keep adding things and make a litlle game with it.. if you miss some features you could at them and try to expand your engine Do you already have an modell loader?

I reckon an ''engine'' will *usually* provide more of a clearly defined interface between the engine and the game than ''basecode'' does.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement