Directx 9 - My First Project! Help!

Started by
4 comments, last by gavr0s 20 years, 6 months ago
Im just about to develop a game using the Directx 9 API, although everyone recommends a Tetris game followed by Breakout etc...i would like to begin with a 2D platform game (a simple one at that). Is this a good idea? Any tips or help would be appreciated Gavin
Gavin
Advertisement
I think it wouldn''t be a bad idea, just as long as you took it slow. If you just do it piece by piece, like starting with just having the player on the screen, then moving, then weapons, etc...Not necessarily in that order, but you get the picture. Good Luck!

It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming

-Beavt8r...
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
A platform game (even a simple one) tends to be much more complex than Tetris. First of all, you''re probably going to need a lot more graphics. While Tetris only has square blocks (which, I assume, anyone could draw), 2D platformers generally have lots of animations (walking and jumping, at the very least), as well as terrain types for the blocks (grass, dirt, etc.). You''ll probably also need some (simple) AI for the enemies, which Tetris does not. You''ll likely need a level file format, and level editor to make levels.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Obviously, there''s quite a bit more involved with a 2D platformer. I''m not saying that can''t skip the ''standard'' game development steps - Tetris, Breakout, etc. - but you should realize that you may be getting into more than you realize.
quote:Original post by Beavt8r
...just as long as you took it slow...

Yes, there is more to the platformer, but if you do it piece by piece, and leave all the AI and animations and the comlex stuff out until you get more experienced, that's fine. Not all platformers have to have all kinds of levels and AI, etc...After all, gavr0s DID say a simple one. You could make a Mario Brothers-type game (the original). No matter what type of game you make, just take it slow and keep your goals realistic. And good luck to you!

It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming

-Beavt8r...

[edited by - beavt8r on October 16, 2003 12:56:09 AM]
It is coming...10 years in the making and It is finally coming-Beavt8r...
Thanx, thats a great help, at least i know where to start now.
Ive got a January deadline so hopefully all will go well,

ive got a stack of tutorials to work through, directx 9 book anda lot of coffee!

Gavin
Gavin
I ll never e able to get why people say one ought to start with a Tetris game, it''s rather complicated. However, I believe Gavr0s isnt a beginner but a chess or checkers(draughts) game would be much easier if he was.
So a platform game sounds to me as a good idea, yeah, especially if you follow Beavt8r''s advice Take it piece by piece..

Prog, Hex & Rock''n''Roll :
I don''t like the Prog but the Prog likes me.
Some nice poetry to sweeten your spirit and relax a bit before programming
Prog, Games & Rock'n'Roll :I don't like the Prog but the Prog likes me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement