Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

chbfiv

My current engine design

A simple engine design so far, A few things have yet to be implemented.
Singleton Template
vector3f Template
vector2f Template
System //Interface
3DObject //Interface
    Model -3DObject //Mesh or Meshes 
        StaticModel - Model
        DynModel - Model
Sound //Interface
    SoundEffect - Sound
    AmbientNoise - Sound
    VocalSound - Sound
Resource //Interface
Kernel - Singleton // Core
    TaskManager - System,Singleton //Handles all other Managers
    ResourceManager - System,Singleton
        Mesh - Resource
        Sound - Resource
        Image - Resource
        XMLFile - Resource
    InputManager - System,Singleton //Handles settings and Events
    GfxManager - System,Singleton //Mem/render
    SoundManager - System,Singleton //starts/stops sounds on Event
    GameManager - System,Singleton //Gameplay uses all other Kernel classes

The reason I posted the design is because I was looking for some input on the design, maybe things I overlooked or what have you. Any comments are welcome because I take the good with the bad=) thanks ahead of time!

I read all your Enginuitys=) I didn't quite understand your Singleton Template and I was going to test it later today as a mater of fact. Just off the top of my head, I remember the Constructor was public, which is not that normal for a Singleton.

As for music and CD audio, I dont see that as much of a problem seeing that im using SDL and OpenAL. Thanks for pointing it out.

edit, typo

[edited by - chbfiv on October 15, 2003 2:17:41 PM]

quote:
Original post by chbfiv
I read all your Enginuitys=) I didn''t quite understand your Singleton Template and I was going to test it later today as a mater of fact. Just off the top of my head, I remember the Constructor was public, which is not that normal for a Singleton.

Yeah, to be honest it''s not much of a Singleton in that respect - there''s just an assert that warns you when you abuse it, rather than it actually stopping you. I should probably change it to a protected constructor and a public static Construct() function or something...

quote:

As for music and CD audio, I dont see that as much of a problem seeing that im using SDL and OpenAL. Thanks for pointing it out.

OK, but I said that after looking at your Sound interface. Is Music and CD-Audio not going to have manager/interface code at all, and you''re just going to use OpenAL directly? I personally found that writing a ''jukebox'' - a manager-type class that could load a bunch of music tracks, browse through them, play, pause, and stop - was pretty useful.

Superpig
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu

Well my ResourceManager loads during the Init phase of the program, so that other objs can use those resources. So, say someone wants to add/remove tracks, or inserts a CD; I don''t need it to add to my Static Resources. I could have two types of resources, static/normal, or just add a custom ''jukebox'', as your example. I want to include a dyn state terrain, so sound is not the only resource that will need a normal vs...Needless to say, I got some thinking todo yet. I just dont want to get so far as to depend on a bad design.

also, please note that
vector3f - Template,vector2f - Template was just me bing mindless, I call mine vertex, and its a template lol, not opengl.