Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fencingone

What do I need to Know???

I was wondering what do I need to know to make a tetris clone. I already "know" C++ (I have been doing it for quite some time now). But I don''t have a clue on were to start with a tetris clone. I searched the forums for tetris tutorials but it said a error occured and stuff so I could''t find out what you all said about this before. I searched google but all I got was the tetris downloads and tutorials in Java (maybe I''ll learn Java in the future, but not now). I was thinking about getting some books: OpenGL Game Programming; Game Coding Complete and some other ones but I don''t know if they''ll actually help. Do I need to learn OpenGl or DirectX to make a Tetris clone. I don''t what to do. If you could point me to some tutorials that would be great. Thanks! oh by the way the book OpenGL Game Programming I really debating buying this. Would this help me? After the tetris clone I want to try to make a 2D sidescroller, (I love these I''d play them for hours if I had the time) and I''ve decided I want to learn OpenGL so will this book help? Thank you!! veni vidi vici "Be excellent to Each other" Bill and Ted

Go to the link in my sig for Game Tutorials. I belive it has a tutorial for making a teetris clone in a console app... see if that helps.

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[GameDev][C++ Page][Game Tutorials][FreeBSD][HawkNL(Hawk Network Library)][NeHe Productions][Mage Tower Ent-My Site]

[edited by - ranblade on October 15, 2003 1:56:41 PM]

OpenGL Game Programming is a very good book, but since OpenGL is a 3d API, it talk about 3d game programming so if you want to do 2d games, it''s not a good book for you.

for your little tetris clone, i suggest using the Simple Directmedia Layer (SDL) which is a library that use directx for rendering and is a lot easier to use. After you completed your tetris clone and know SDL a little it will be easier to go with Directx or OpenGL.

Hope that helps
Matt

Thanks Guys! I checked out Game tutorials.com, they''ve got alot of cool stuff, stuff I want to do to, but no tetris clone. I also checked out SDL, why do you say it is for DirectX lemurion? On the SDL site it says alot about OpenGL, not DirectX. Thanks though, I''m going to go through it now! Thanks for the replies! Anyone know any other sites / tutorials?

veni vidi vici
"Be excellent to Each other" Bill and Ted

If you wnt to learn OpenGL Go to the linke for NeHe productions in my sig. but first get a very good grasp on C++ before taking on a API

RanBlade
"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn''t be in the games industry." - Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[GameDev][C++ Page][Game Tutorials][FreeBSD][HawkNL(Hawk Network Library)][NeHe Productions][Mage Tower Ent-My Site]

There''s a forum right here on GD called Hands On Interactive Game Development (or somehing similar) which takes you through the design and impememtation of a tetris clone