Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metus

the most efficient ways with heightmaps

i''ve done some experiments using outdoor terrain using heightmaps and i''m using static vertex buffers at the moment. my heightmap is a 1024*1024 tga texture that i''m splicing into vertex buffers containing 256*256 quads (256*256*2 poly''s, + some null polys for turning my trianglestrip) but when it comes to culling and LOD, it MUST be easier to do using dynamic buffers, right?

create a big static mesh (in 3DS or LW or whatever) and use octrees to cull it...forget heighmaps, just have your modeler make your level however you want it, it will look much better in the end and be alot faster

What about a static Vertex buffer with dynamic index buffers? Your static VB would contain the highest resolution heigtmap and a LOD+culling method would give you the index buffer(s) that index into the VB. I am not sure if this will work as I have not done it yet but it''s what I plan to do.

In my own little terrain rederer, I have a single large static VB derived from a TGA heightmap that I render brute-force using multiple triangle strips. I am reading up some LOD methods right now.