Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You play as a sword

This topic is 5170 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What about a game where you are a mystical sword that can control humans and is intent on destroying the human race. You can change bodies by placing yourself into the hands of another body. You can use you weilders abilities, so if you weilded by a mage u can do magic but not hack as much so you cant drink as much blood than if you were in the hands of a swordsman. When you level up you can improve your slashing or grow or what ever, or even gain special moves that improve your wielder. If you have a weidler that is evil you can be a team and do the quests together, but you still have an influence on him, otherwise you can assume total control. Imagine you see a powerful warrior you want to control but first you have to beat him and render him unconsious, then you need a certain mind control level to control him. So you may have to gain extra skill points to even beat him never mind control him. so you do some quests, and on one quest you defeat an warrior who has an evil sheild, and you and the sheild decide to join sides and control the same body. so the sheild then helps you to parry hits automatically, which is better than the normal shield you was using, you can then beat that warrior and take his control.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could make it so in order to "win" the game you are required to switch from person to person. Some people have different stats, some aren''t very strong, some are not intelligent, etc.

Also, make bonuses and penalties based on who is wielding you. For instance, you need to get into the hands of a Paladin to get past the front gate of the castle. However, this also means you can''t just go killing everyone. But then when the nasty assassin is holding you... it''s slaughter time baby!

And for the sequel you could be unearthed by and acheaologist in modern times and you wreck havoc there, but you have experience and can pass on mogic to the weilder and you zap everyone in our time too.

Sounds like Shiny''s Messiah. Cool idea though.

Out of curiosity, does the sword have any set personality, or is it just a mind control device (for which the player controls the people who hold the sword)? And then, are the people who the sword possesses stripped of their personality, or are they on some quest of their own and it''s up to the player how much he helps out? Because, now its sounds closer to Soul Calibur.

a very gool game could come of this idea. I have heard this idea once before in a book, but it was a ring and there were some hobbits .

Either way, this would make a good game. It has lots of possibilies for the player to have to use their brain, like by having to learn about the characters in the game in order to find a host that will come in contact with the your target host. (like the way to get into a castle would be to take over a commoner and have the castle guard take the sword away from the commoner when they go into the castle. Then get passed onto the cook, servent, and finaly to a knight. Then the player gets some good old action when the knight goes on a quest. And on and on and on)

There''s a game that uses this very same concept, but is not a RPG (unlikely 99% of the ideas posted on this forum).

It''s called Maken X, released in ''99 for the Dreamcast. It''s a first person action game, and the main character is a bizarre sword that was uncovered by some mega-corporation, that can "brainjack" people and control them.

Gamespot review

How about adding a corruption factor. When someone first picks up you up they may be a good holy knight fighting to save the innocent. But slowly you gain control of them corrupting them until they become crazed murder cutting a path of destruction wherever you go.

Or if not that how about changing it so that you can''t control people but instead only animate dead bodies. So if you wanted to become a wizard you''d have to either kill a wizard or find a dead one.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Like messiah or another game Omicron: the nomad soul.... it has that same element. In omicron, you had to change characters because some characters didn''t have access to things other characters did. But it was the part of a soul that took over people... instead of people picking up a sword.

I must say it''s very unique in my eye.

Sounds neat. I think that the biggest problem is getting players to switch characters regularly. After all, once you corrupt some invincible warrior, you'd be inclined to "camp" there for a large chunk of the game.

There are a bunch of ways around this. Messiah made you swap out to get access privelages or whatever, but I don't really think that would be as much fun as a sword. Maybe if your host would slowly be destroyed by your evil, so that he would grow weaker and weaker and finally die, then you would have to jump from one to the next, like falling platforms in Mega Man (figuratively).

Or incorporate a reputation system. If you're trying to infiltrate some anti-evil-sword organization, you could grab an unfortunate monk, and have him sneak you in, and then switch over to a cook, and then work your way up the ladder. But if you stay with one person too long, you might be discovered or, with more devout characters, he might overcome your mind control and destroy or seal you away.

This is a really cool idea. There would have to be two control paradigms, however. You'd have to have your basic human controls for getting around as a possessed person, and then some kind of interaction for passing the sword from one to the next. After all, how does an evil-possessed man convince a not-evil-possessed man to hold his evil sword for just a second? And of course the new host would have to kill the old one, or erase his memory or something. Maybe retrograde amnesia covering the time he was in possession of the sword would be appropriate, so a longer stay would leave behind a more suspicious NPC, who might be a liability later on.

This game would be as much stealth as anything. I'd imagine that an evil, soul-possessing sword would have to keep itself on the down-low most of the time. After all, it just takes one guy to say, "Hey! That's the soul-consuming blade of Ker'Angre!" and the gig is up. You get hauled to a church and exorcised. In fact, I imagine that such a sword might have to pull a One Ring every so often, and drop off the radar for a hundred years or so. Get buried, or stowed, or lost, and then turn on the "fascination field" to lure the next sucker.

This is a terrific idea, and I'd like to see where it winds up.

EDIT: Do you think that your value as a weapon should depend on the weilder, or should the blade itself contribute to fighting prowess, Wirrikidor-style? If you could raise levels and improve the sword's performance bonuses, then people would be more inclined to use it. After all, what RPG'er could resist and item with a +500 to swordsmanship and a +380 to magic?

[edited by - Iron Chef Carnage on October 16, 2003 1:13:19 PM]

If larger amounts of corruption caused a character to go berserk, the sword could loose as much influence over them. With more and more corruption, the weilder could become more deadly, but more likely to just run around killing things without much thought as to why or some kind of goal.

Would make them pretty bad for something like a stealth mission, running around attack the guards ^_^

Well, I am gald someone else mentioned Bloodlust, so I dont become the eternal bubble buster

In Bloodlust you play a Weapon carrier AND a Weapon. The weapon has its own stats and powers. One of the interesting aspects of the weapon description are the Desires. They are the driving force behind the weapon, what it wants above all, there are 5 desires :
Prestige, Wealth, Sex, Violence and Reputation. Depending on the rating, the weapon will drive its carrier to do various actions, sometimes taking over completely. For instance Jack the Ripper''s weapon would probably have strong Sex and Violence stats.
Another cool aspects are powers that are only triggered when the weapon takes control, or when certain criteria are met (only at night time, only when soaked in blood).
My memories of the games are a bit fuzzy, but the system was VERY detailed since the whole game was geared towards weapons and what they could do to their carriers.
Interestingly enough, the Carriers were only secondary to the system, meaning a weapon that would push its owner to really violent acts would most certainly change hands quite often (like in this series about this cursed revolver whose current owner always die at the end of the episode, for example).

Anyway, it''s a very good idea and it has been exploited very succesfully (the game isnt printed anymore, but is always very highly rated whenever mentioned).
Did I mention it''s a pen n paper RPG ?
I believe HOgshead publishing was supposed to make an english version, I dont know if that went through, though.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

Here''s an idea:
As the sword you gain exp points controlling different types of characters. If controlling a swordsmen you gain exp with that type of character. This comes into play when you gain level under a type of character. With levels gained you get the ability to transphorm into a weapon better suited for that type of character.
IE - You get a level controlling a monk, and gain the ability to turn into a wooden staff. After a couple more levels a staff with metal balls on the end, then spikes, and so on.
Nothing would stop you from becoming a weapon not suited for the character you''re in once you gain it (A ninja with a gaint battle axe gained while controlling a viking for example).

Maybe once you gain a certain level under one type of character you gain the ability to transphorm into an ultimate weapon, which gives special abilities, or even transphorms the character. Like a level 50 under some time of undead character allows you to become a scythe, and the character turns into a reaper. This would quickly drain energy/life from the character, so they couldn''t stay in the powerful form forever.

Willing to die
For everything that we build
The Battleground we call turf
Where haters come to be killed