You play as a sword

Started by
14 comments, last by jlebrech 20 years, 6 months ago
Eh... Read any Michael Moorcock (Elric/Stormbringer) lately?
Advertisement
Like messiah or another game Omicron: the nomad soul.... it has that same element. In omicron, you had to change characters because some characters didn''t have access to things other characters did. But it was the part of a soul that took over people... instead of people picking up a sword.

I must say it''s very unique in my eye.
iKonquest.com - Web-based strategy.End of Line
Sounds neat. I think that the biggest problem is getting players to switch characters regularly. After all, once you corrupt some invincible warrior, you'd be inclined to "camp" there for a large chunk of the game.

There are a bunch of ways around this. Messiah made you swap out to get access privelages or whatever, but I don't really think that would be as much fun as a sword. Maybe if your host would slowly be destroyed by your evil, so that he would grow weaker and weaker and finally die, then you would have to jump from one to the next, like falling platforms in Mega Man (figuratively).

Or incorporate a reputation system. If you're trying to infiltrate some anti-evil-sword organization, you could grab an unfortunate monk, and have him sneak you in, and then switch over to a cook, and then work your way up the ladder. But if you stay with one person too long, you might be discovered or, with more devout characters, he might overcome your mind control and destroy or seal you away.

This is a really cool idea. There would have to be two control paradigms, however. You'd have to have your basic human controls for getting around as a possessed person, and then some kind of interaction for passing the sword from one to the next. After all, how does an evil-possessed man convince a not-evil-possessed man to hold his evil sword for just a second? And of course the new host would have to kill the old one, or erase his memory or something. Maybe retrograde amnesia covering the time he was in possession of the sword would be appropriate, so a longer stay would leave behind a more suspicious NPC, who might be a liability later on.

This game would be as much stealth as anything. I'd imagine that an evil, soul-possessing sword would have to keep itself on the down-low most of the time. After all, it just takes one guy to say, "Hey! That's the soul-consuming blade of Ker'Angre!" and the gig is up. You get hauled to a church and exorcised. In fact, I imagine that such a sword might have to pull a One Ring every so often, and drop off the radar for a hundred years or so. Get buried, or stowed, or lost, and then turn on the "fascination field" to lure the next sucker.

This is a terrific idea, and I'd like to see where it winds up.

EDIT: Do you think that your value as a weapon should depend on the weilder, or should the blade itself contribute to fighting prowess, Wirrikidor-style? If you could raise levels and improve the sword's performance bonuses, then people would be more inclined to use it. After all, what RPG'er could resist and item with a +500 to swordsmanship and a +380 to magic?

[edited by - Iron Chef Carnage on October 16, 2003 1:13:19 PM]
If larger amounts of corruption caused a character to go berserk, the sword could loose as much influence over them. With more and more corruption, the weilder could become more deadly, but more likely to just run around killing things without much thought as to why or some kind of goal.

Would make them pretty bad for something like a stealth mission, running around attack the guards ^_^
Turring Machines are better than C++ any day ^_~
Well, I am gald someone else mentioned Bloodlust, so I dont become the eternal bubble buster

In Bloodlust you play a Weapon carrier AND a Weapon. The weapon has its own stats and powers. One of the interesting aspects of the weapon description are the Desires. They are the driving force behind the weapon, what it wants above all, there are 5 desires :
Prestige, Wealth, Sex, Violence and Reputation. Depending on the rating, the weapon will drive its carrier to do various actions, sometimes taking over completely. For instance Jack the Ripper''s weapon would probably have strong Sex and Violence stats.
Another cool aspects are powers that are only triggered when the weapon takes control, or when certain criteria are met (only at night time, only when soaked in blood).
My memories of the games are a bit fuzzy, but the system was VERY detailed since the whole game was geared towards weapons and what they could do to their carriers.
Interestingly enough, the Carriers were only secondary to the system, meaning a weapon that would push its owner to really violent acts would most certainly change hands quite often (like in this series about this cursed revolver whose current owner always die at the end of the episode, for example).

Anyway, it''s a very good idea and it has been exploited very succesfully (the game isnt printed anymore, but is always very highly rated whenever mentioned).
Did I mention it''s a pen n paper RPG ?
I believe HOgshead publishing was supposed to make an english version, I dont know if that went through, though.

Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Here''s an idea:
As the sword you gain exp points controlling different types of characters. If controlling a swordsmen you gain exp with that type of character. This comes into play when you gain level under a type of character. With levels gained you get the ability to transphorm into a weapon better suited for that type of character.
IE - You get a level controlling a monk, and gain the ability to turn into a wooden staff. After a couple more levels a staff with metal balls on the end, then spikes, and so on.
Nothing would stop you from becoming a weapon not suited for the character you''re in once you gain it (A ninja with a gaint battle axe gained while controlling a viking for example).

Maybe once you gain a certain level under one type of character you gain the ability to transphorm into an ultimate weapon, which gives special abilities, or even transphorms the character. Like a level 50 under some time of undead character allows you to become a scythe, and the character turns into a reaper. This would quickly drain energy/life from the character, so they couldn''t stay in the powerful form forever.

Willing to die
For everything that we build
The Battleground we call turf
Where haters come to be killed
Willing to dieFor everything that we buildThe Battleground we call turfWhere haters come to be killed

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement