You play as a sword

Started by
14 comments, last by jlebrech 20 years, 6 months ago
What about a game where you are a mystical sword that can control humans and is intent on destroying the human race. You can change bodies by placing yourself into the hands of another body. You can use you weilders abilities, so if you weilded by a mage u can do magic but not hack as much so you cant drink as much blood than if you were in the hands of a swordsman. When you level up you can improve your slashing or grow or what ever, or even gain special moves that improve your wielder. If you have a weidler that is evil you can be a team and do the quests together, but you still have an influence on him, otherwise you can assume total control. Imagine you see a powerful warrior you want to control but first you have to beat him and render him unconsious, then you need a certain mind control level to control him. So you may have to gain extra skill points to even beat him never mind control him. so you do some quests, and on one quest you defeat an warrior who has an evil sheild, and you and the sheild decide to join sides and control the same body. so the sheild then helps you to parry hits automatically, which is better than the normal shield you was using, you can then beat that warrior and take his control.
Advertisement
You could make it so in order to "win" the game you are required to switch from person to person. Some people have different stats, some aren''t very strong, some are not intelligent, etc.

Also, make bonuses and penalties based on who is wielding you. For instance, you need to get into the hands of a Paladin to get past the front gate of the castle. However, this also means you can''t just go killing everyone. But then when the nasty assassin is holding you... it''s slaughter time baby!
And for the sequel you could be unearthed by and acheaologist in modern times and you wreck havoc there, but you have experience and can pass on mogic to the weilder and you zap everyone in our time too.
I gotta say, that is one of the coolest ideas I''ve ever heard. Just picturing it makes me think: "...Awesome..."

-*- My cheap, ad-ridden homepage -*-
ICQ#338688331
-----------------------Adam ParcherYay I have my own web page.
Sounds like Shiny''s Messiah. Cool idea though.

Out of curiosity, does the sword have any set personality, or is it just a mind control device (for which the player controls the people who hold the sword)? And then, are the people who the sword possesses stripped of their personality, or are they on some quest of their own and it''s up to the player how much he helps out? Because, now its sounds closer to Soul Calibur.
william bubel
a very gool game could come of this idea. I have heard this idea once before in a book, but it was a ring and there were some hobbits .

Either way, this would make a good game. It has lots of possibilies for the player to have to use their brain, like by having to learn about the characters in the game in order to find a host that will come in contact with the your target host. (like the way to get into a castle would be to take over a commoner and have the castle guard take the sword away from the commoner when they go into the castle. Then get passed onto the cook, servent, and finaly to a knight. Then the player gets some good old action when the knight goes on a quest. And on and on and on)
Possible source of inspiration: Rune swords in Palladium RPGs.

ld
who's willing to bet not many other groups had free-willed flying rune swords with afros.

[edited by - liquiddark on October 15, 2003 7:34:26 PM]
No Excuses
There''s a game that uses this very same concept, but is not a RPG (unlikely 99% of the ideas posted on this forum).

It''s called Maken X, released in ''99 for the Dreamcast. It''s a first person action game, and the main character is a bizarre sword that was uncovered by some mega-corporation, that can "brainjack" people and control them.

Gamespot review
How about adding a corruption factor. When someone first picks up you up they may be a good holy knight fighting to save the innocent. But slowly you gain control of them corrupting them until they become crazed murder cutting a path of destruction wherever you go.

Or if not that how about changing it so that you can''t control people but instead only animate dead bodies. So if you wanted to become a wizard you''d have to either kill a wizard or find a dead one.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Bloodlust, RPG by Croc, ed. Siroz 1991 - out of print.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement