Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jedis1000

BitTorrent

Hello. Has anyone here heard of BitTorrent? Is it any good when it works? Because whenever i try to download a song off of it it always gives me this stuff: evalevalq.q>trd!Uj:%L<061:%C[edited by - jedis1000 on October 15, 2003 5:02:08 PM]

yeah, i think that would be an internal code error that you aren''t supposed to see. it may be web browser/page specific, because I''ve never had problems with BitTorrent ( it can be a pain to set up though )
hope this helps a little.

Sorry Xcdcc,
I just really want this thing to work. You know when you''ve worked on something for a long time and then get frustrated and destroy whatever you''re working on? This is kinda happenning to me. If anyone can help me, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
-Jedis1000

If you''re clicking on a .torrent file then you may get crap like the above as the browser may think it''s just a text file. Instead, save the .torrent to somewhere and double-click the file.

Guest Anonymous Poster
What exactly is it you have been working on? You say you are trying to DL a song off of BitTorrent... I don''t suppose you actually recorded the song? Did you work hard to install BitTorrent?

PS: If you did record the song - my apologies in advance.

Can I just copy and paste all of this hooha:

asfil;aiogsJKFGWJGlsdogasortfghadg

into notepad and then save it as a torrent file?
I really want this to work out, so anyone who has info, please help me!
-Jedis1000

Edit:
I didn't record the song, I ripped it off of my old Chumbawama CD's. Then I wanted to see if I could get it onto BitTorrent. One of my friends gave me all of the hoopla you see above, and said that it should work with bittorrent. I just want to be able to use that code to give me my song. It's not anything recorded, its really just a conversion problem.

[edited by - jedis1000 on October 15, 2003 5:29:58 PM]

It''s a filesharing app that uses small files called torrents to connect clients to where the file is stored (the server, which maintains the file and master torrent record, is called the tracker). It works by arbitrarily dividing the file into chunks and simultaneously downloading and uploading between multiple clients. At least that''s how I understand it.

To be fair it''s also used for game demos, movie trailers and such. Since it does not have a search feature (to the best of my knowledge) its use as a pirating tool is more limited that most P2P software.

quote:
Original post by Xcdcc
and of course is associated with warez and therefore shouldnt be on these boards

It''s just a VERY GOOD file sharing system. If you use it with ilegal porpouses, it''s your fault.
BitTorrent have been used for downloading Linux distros for a long time. It can be used for the distribution of your own work without having an expensive server.
So, dont blame the knife because you can kill with it.
I highly recommend it... and read the specs, they are greats.

There''s another open source project on sourceforge called BitTorrent++ and that''s the one I use personally when dealing with these torrent files. Perhaps you might have better luck getting that one set up? Just do a search for BT++ on sourceforge

--{You fight like a dairy farmer!}

quote:
Original post by Xcdcc
and of course is associated with warez and therefore shouldnt be on these boards

OMG! i got my gentoo distro through bittorrent!! IM GONNA CALL THE BSA ON THEM RIGHT NOW! OMG OMG!!

-eldee
;another space monkey;
[ Forced Evolution Studios ]

::evolve::

Do NOT let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is not a real doctor!

quote:
Original post by Xcdcc

Try downloading a few demos of games. Chances are you will see sites offering BitTorrent links for them, especially if they are big. A real and fast alternative to waiting in an advertisement queue for ages.

someone wants to see if they can get a song to be able to be shared by torrent for educational purposes? how can this be right in any instance? what need would they have for this information..just "curious"? well to me it all seems shady and of course you can get legit software from torrent as well as other p2p services, but the way this discussion started out was not legit. that is my opinion and it is pretty much a pointless discussion.

quote:
Original post by Xcdcc
someone wants to see if they can get a song to be able to be shared by torrent for educational purposes? how can this be right in any instance? what need would they have for this information..just "curious"? well to me it all seems shady and of course you can get legit software from torrent as well as other p2p services, but the way this discussion started out was not legit. that is my opinion and it is pretty much a pointless discussion.

Although the OPs reasons do indeed sound dodgy, I can understand why someone would try to share a file via BT. As other already said, it''s a very useful utility to transfer data to others (for example your completed project, a sample of your artwork or whatever).
And while I must admit the OPs probably doesn''t use it for legal purposes people who have a holier-than-thou attitude and rant against it whenever they think something might happen get on my nerves as much as the pirates.
I would not have answered the OP for this very reason, but I saw not enough evidence to start a crusade either.

Hello there. Xcdcc, this is for educational purposes. Getting things to work correctly on computers isn''t always that easy, and this is actually a learning process. It is also 100% legal. It may sound a bit "shady" to you, but for other people, it just isn''t that easy for things to happen the way that they should. I agree, this probably should have been posted in the lounge, but hey, what can ya do? Oh well. To sum it all up, I''d just like to sayt that for me, I am learning when I''m having fun and finding new things. So please- stop "Giving me the business."

Guest Anonymous Poster
Yeah can somebody please help me steal music? It''s all for education, of course!