Polygon count

Started by
3 comments, last by The C modest god 20 years, 6 months ago
How many polygons can current 3D cards deal with smoothly(keeping the fps on about 100)?
It's all about the wheel.Never blindly trust technoligy.I love my internal organs.Real men don't shower.Quote:Original post by Toolmaker Quote:Original post by The C modest godHow is my improoved signature?It sucks, just like you.
Advertisement
THAT depends a lot on your code and what you''re doing. Are they unlit, untransformed, non-textured, non-perspective projected polys? Probably a LOT and still get 100fps easily. But if they''re lit, textured, filtered, projected, clipped, AND transparent, not quite so many. Worse, if we''re adding in pixel/vertex shaders.

A better way to ask this question is: "How many FPS (or better, seconds per frame) does my game get on current graphics hardware?" And you can answer that by testing on various platforms. Then you can optimize.

Otherwise, I can see no real way to say HOW many polys you can cram on the screen and maintain a constant frame rate.

---
http://www.gapingwolf.com
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
quote:
How many polygons can current 3D cards deal with smoothly(keeping the fps on about 100)?

It would be pretty hard to answer this question without a page of assumptions. Although, I have noticed a couple of games boosting about their engines being able too handle over 100,000 polygons. That said, I am not sure I could get my polygon count to that level with 100 fps?

Understanding is a three edged sword...
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
I have rendered 100,000 polygons on a geforce 2ti, I didn't have a fps counter, but it looked very smooth. (I guess over 60 fps). It was with a vertex buffer and an index buffer, that was rendered in one DrawPrimitive call, so I couldn't change any render state.

My Site

[edited by - Quasar3D on October 15, 2003 5:29:03 PM]
9000 badrillion

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement