good books on DX9 game programming for C++

Started by
14 comments, last by Leet125 20 years, 6 months ago
would Strategy Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 be a good buy or what if i was interested in making a FPS
love of games and programming is all i need to make it in this field!
Advertisement
I do not own "Introduction to ..." but I have read that it is focused on direcx x only, I mean no A.I. , no collision detection , nothing else.
That''s great, in my opinion.
Too many books try to explain every thing with poor results.
The only exception is the maasterpiece "Programming RPG ..." by Jim Adams , but it is a 1000 pages book
Erm, I know that "Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX" doesn''t use dx9 (uses dx 8.1), but it''s a pretty darn good book. It has a lot of extra crap about storylines and such that you probably don''t need, but it teaches a bit
privet!
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
i decided to go ahead and get Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 as posted above, looks promising, thanks!

I know that you want a good book (been there done that) but books are so expensive...especially when the documentation is there for it....The book is good i''ll tell you that, at least after i ran through it, but honestly at least from my perspective, if you can learn from that book, you can learn from the documentation as well. That''s what i think, that''s the reason why i''m suggesting that you look at the documentation before spending money on the book...(some of us are poor lol )

no theory`
no theory`
Yes , "Programming RPG..." uses direct x 8.1.
I mean that a begginer should stay away, in my opinion, from books that try to explain game programming in 300 pages.
Waste of time.
You should buy either a 1000 pages superbible or , even better, 3 - 4 small books on specific topics.
Game programming is hard, no shortcuts ,unfortunatly
To make what AlbertoT said a little more noticable:

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

It's so important, i need to say it again:

THERE ARE NO SHORTCUTS!!!

Hmm... you want a book. In my experience, books are not very helpful in the sense of learning compared to the value of which you purchased it (usually $50). A forum is also a good resource (people might complain at you for asking VERY simple questions though) but learn to use it. And also, again and again, people will ask you to use www.google.com, they want to be nice but it might just come off mean!!

A good book... none exist otherwise everyone would have already bought it. If you are still convinced you need a book to help you through DX9, GET ONE WITHOUT IT TEACHING YOU C++ AGAIN. That is important. By now you should already know it, i don't know why publishers put it in anyway when to topic is over DirectX!!!

That's my advice. Books can be evil. Teach them to work for you instead.

[edited by - dagamer34 on October 17, 2003 7:38:58 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement