Is Graphics Programming interesting?

Started by
16 comments, last by Challenger17 20 years, 6 months ago
HI! I''m a college student. I want to get into the gamedev industry. In all aspects of gamedev, I prefer graphics programming best. But due to being lack of experience, I wander I really like it(in the future?). I believe many people decided to work with Graphics Programming because they found the PASSION here. I think I like graphics programming, but, I don''t know actually what characteristic of it let me like it. That is, I''m not sure whether my PASSION is here Could you tell me what''s the interesting thing that makes you enjoy graphics programming? btw, forgive my poor english... Thanks!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------In history, only steam engine and electromagnetics impelled human beings to make progress......
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Challenger17
Could you tell me what's the interesting thing that makes you enjoy graphics programming?

After finishing your first complete graphics demo, when you see the sparkle of the digital stars in your screen, you'll understand the passion.

Seeing my own work "alive" makes it all worth while for me.

-Nik

EDIT: typo.

[edited by - Nik02 on October 16, 2003 5:31:24 AM]

Niko Suni

it''s a way of expressing myself.

it''s like an artist with his painting, or a composer and his music. it''s a very hard feeling to explain, but when it goes right and people go "wow" you feel great =)
-jonnii=========jon@voodooextreme.comwww.voodooextreme.com
Not really, everything has been done for you and if you don''t like finding these things out for yourself there isn''t a whole a lot left.

Unless, you just like to code what other people have discovered or you are good, one of the best.
When I was 17, I wrote my first graphic program: it simply calculated and displayed the Mandelbrot fractal. I cannot describe what I felt... That happened even when I saw my first ray traced triangles, with specular, diffuse and with shadows/reflections.
And many other times.
It''s common that when you spend a lot of time in some activity (in this case, a programming project) you feel happy when you finish it. But Computer graphic has another component, like painting (I paint, too) or like playing music (I play guitar): you have a phisical rappresentation of your work (the picture when you paint, the song when you play music). This is good for those people that fell the need to express themselves.
I never did a complete game, but I cannot imagine how would I feel looking a complete game, with levels, story and so on.

Try to write a simple program... if you feel that thing, then you know you found your way.
Good luck!
Not really, everything has been done for you and if you don''t like finding these things out for yourself there isn''t a whole a lot left.
Well that would be true for almost all things.
For me, graphics programming is a whole load more fun that writing database app''s.

Graphics programming is an art form for people with no artistic tallent. We cant sing,draw or dance, but we can code
"Graphics programming is an art form for people with no artistic tallent"

even for those that have some... drawing, music (I play guitar too (I also used to draw a lot), and totally agree with cignox1 )

[edited by - sBibi on October 17, 2003 4:34:45 AM]
quote:
Graphics programming is an art form for people with no artistic tallent. We cant sing,draw or dance, but we can code

I agree 1000% I haven''t thought it this way, but its true. Good point!

HellRaiZer
HellRaiZer
"I never did a complete game, but I cannot imagine how would I feel looking a complete game, with levels, story and so on."

seeing other people playing a game you''ve made and enjoying is even better than that. (but I guess the it pretty much depends on your personality...)
Three aspects of graphics programming interest me

1) Creating pretty, interactive graphics.
2) Finding an *original* solution to a graphics problem.
3) Optimising the solution. Just getting 10% speed increase is sadly quite exciting

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement