Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MP3 to MIDI ????

This topic is 5174 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Your title says MP3 to MIDI and post says MIDI to MP3...
Anyway, MP3 cannot be converted to MIDI but MIDI can be converted
to MP3. You''ll need software synth to do it. The best synth is Timidity++. Use Google. And download the EAWPATCH set (google it too).

No, his title says MP3 to MIDI, and his post says to MIDI _FROM_ MP3.

Pretty much the answer is no, as MP3 is actual sound wave data, whereas MIDI is note pitch and length for many instruments. I did hear of a company developing software to analase an audio file and extract MIDI tracks from it, although it didn''t work with drums.

Dude, converting actual sound wave data into musical scores is like converting speech into text, but a LOT harder, since music is far more complex and richier than speech.

Also that software will prolly cost twice all your limbs. 99.99999% of chances of it being far from free.

If you're in dire need of having that keen MP3 you just downloaded off the net converted into MIDI so you can use it in god knows what midi-only-supporting game engine, there are buttloads of websites that offer midi files from popular, not-so-popular, and custom music.

Again, google is your friend.

If you are coding your own game engine, you can prolly use FMOD to add MOD support. MOD files can sound far better than MIDI, since they won't rely on the user's midi synth drivers. There are tons of MOD files on the net, and tutorials on how to produce them.

[edited by - M3d10n on October 16, 2003 10:11:03 AM]

http://www.intelliscore.net/

is the sort of thing I imagine.. but having used such a program before, I can tell you that for even slightly complex music, they tend to fail horribly. A single instrument with chords detected is hard enough... a whole song with many instruments, and vocals? VERY VERY VERY hard.

It''s all sound, it can be done. With the mindset that it can''t be done, a piece of equipment as small as a guitar tuner would not exist. The tuner examines the sound coming in, determines what note it is nearest, and even figures out the deviation from that note--in real time.

Simply read in the incoming wave pattern, decide what note its frequency is closest to, then output the midi command bytes. It''s not that difficult.

The only problem is that it is not very practical, either. Without a multi-multi-multi pass frequency determination algorithm to determine notes that are held for a period time, you would end up having a midi command for each burst of calculation.

All those midi sounds, each one for a very, very short amount of time, would sound terrible.

daveandrews.org, soon to be home to a GAPI Sprite Engine.

One cannot simply read the frequency content, and decide what notes are being played... the quality (percentage of each over tone present) of the instrument means that many overtones are present at any one time. The notes volume is also hard to determine, as one has to identify the instrument, and actual note, then examine the overtones to produce a "volume" reading. The pitch may also shift as time goes on... and this pitch bend would have to be considered too. With all of this info, for a single note, Imagine the added difficulty in determining the notes in a chord... and converting the timing into regular musical time. Then consider that its not just 1 instrument at a time... its many, and usually a vocal track. The vocal track will have an even more flexible time, quality, and tonal range/accuracy. In other words... I am not saying it can''t be done. It can be done... but its a very complex procedure, and as far as I know... not one that is viable at present. I would love for someone to prove me wrong... but I don''t see it happening any time soon.

You are correct, my idea didn''t take into account the different timbres created by different instruments, and the collective timbre of the sound.

I would suppose what I proposed is only viable for single piece music, which is probably not what the general use of such a program would be.

daveandrews.org, soon to be home to a GAPI Sprite Engine.

quote:
The tuner examines the sound coming in, determines what note it is nearest, and even figures out the deviation from that note--in real time.

Yes, but only from ONE instrument and not 12 overlapping ones O_o

I think this is possible but you would have to be one hell of a programmer (probably musician as well) to do it. I''m getting a headache just thinking about trying to implement something like this. I think to convert a song would require an enormous amount of processing time.

ATS