Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dont hate me already - not so smart question....

This topic is 5172 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well hello folks, I was wondering where to start as many here so.. I bought 2 books 2day cause I would like to start with opengl and from there on see where I strand. But to ask the most simpelest of questions, the book begins with coding, coding and coding. But my not so smart question was that. I have the opengl 1.2 SDK and all other essentials, but I was wondering where do I code the "code" in ? In visual basic or C++ or does opengl has its own compiler debug code system. Does anybody have an answer on this please ? Many thanks in advance Cheers !!! [edited by - Jamaludin on October 16, 2003 9:14:35 AM]

hehehe,
Wow if all newbie's insulted themselves this much, Maybe we'd lose so many of the "newb stompin trolls" that live around here.
Anyway to answer your question, OpenGL is a "C" based API meaning that C or C++ is the easiest route to take to get to the "final Executable." A general rule, when you see the code you should be able to tell. If the code seems foreign I recommend picking up a book on C or C++. I'm a fan of the "C++ Primer third edition" By Lippman, I call it the Palmtree book(once you see the cover you'll understand). Hope this helps out.

~Sean "GIBson3"

[edited by - GIBson3 on October 16, 2003 9:09:25 AM]

Its a smart technique to make sure no one is able to flame me in any way, I was thinking that already so I just should pick up or download C++ from somewhere, are there any sites for these compilers so yes which is best or mostly used ? Thanks allot for your help really appreciated, cheers !!!

OpenGl is just an API (don''t worry if you don''t know what API means. Basically it is just a bunch of stuff you can use in your programs), not a programming language. It means that you can use it with almost any programming language out there.

Does the book state which language it uses? Most probably it uses C++, in which case you need a C++ compiler. If it uses Visual Basic, you need a Visual Basic compiler.

If the code in the book looks something like (doesn''t have to be exactly like this):

#include <opengl.h>
#include <glu32.h>

int WinMain();

It is C/C++.

I really know very little about Visual Basic, but I think it looks something like:

DIM a, b, c AS INTEGER
IF a=b THEN DO something

I apologize for the horrible example of Basic there. It probably doesn''t even compile, but the point is that the two languages look very different.

You should learn general programming first, before venturing into OpenGl or DirectX or any of the fancy API''s out there. If you have trouble using pre-written OpenGl source code, you''ll drown in trouble trying to make your own. Start simple, and good luck!

Heya thanks for the help it states in the book its called "OPENGL GAME PROGRAMMING" its from the owners of this site GAMEDEV they made the book. Then ill search for a C++ compile program I think there are many of them, thanks for all the information, greatly appreciated ! Cheers !!

hey I already said that in my post, but Ill do that first ill begin simple. And not a single question is stupid having no answers because you dont ask questions is stupid, thanks scotc

quote:
Original post by Jamaludin
hey I already said that in my post, but Ill do that first ill begin simple. And not a single question is stupid having no answers because you dont ask questions is stupid, thanks scotc

You are a wise person! You have exactly the right attitude and will be learning plenty in no time at all.

I assume that ScottC just misread the topic title as "hate me already" instead of "don''t hate me already".

I actually own that book, and found it to be a good reference tool when i first began openGL. As for the language I would suggest learning C++, possibly investing in VC++ 6.0 or .NET and learning how to use the compiler effeciently. This may require purchasing another book. Also NeHe''s website which is hosted by gamedev.net is a very good source to begin learning openGL, but again you will need to know C++.

Some sites that will help you:
http://nehe.gamedev.net/
http://www.gametutorials.com/
http://www.opengl.org/

thanks for the positive crits yall, indeed its a great book. And NeHe site is a great help as well its referenced in the book also, and I dont mind purchasing anything as long as it helps me. I really want to dig into this, thanks for all the advice guys, ill really put it into good use. And the topic was DONT hate me already lol Cheerios !!!

quote:
Original post by ScottC
Learn C++ b4 u read that book, it will be very confusing if you dont, sorry but this is the stupidest question ive EVER read

I've seen more idiotic questions from you. Like this, and this, and this, and this, and this.

Leave your fellow newbies alone.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on October 16, 2003 10:37:53 AM]

Lektrix thanks haha those are not the smartest of threads either so he has no right of speaking but I dont take notice of such people, thanks for the more intelligent people helping me out, greatly appreciated. !!

Oh, and I recommend you learn C++ thoroughly before moving on to OpenGL.

As for beginner books, I generally recommend:

C++ Primer (Third Edition) by Stanley Lippman and Josee Lajoie (as GIBson3 said)

and:

Accelerated C++ by Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo

Personally, I would recommend you read lots of C++ texts. The C++ book list here is good.

[ Google || Start Here || ACCU || STL || Boost || MSDN || GotW || CUJ || MSVC++ Library Fixes || BarrysWorld || E-Mail Me ]

[edited by - Lektrix on October 16, 2003 12:09:27 PM]

Hey thanks for those books, I would love to have more ofthem but since I live far away from America I have to order them I already did with OPENGL GAME PROGRAMMING and that took 3 months lol. I dont mind that much tho but Ill try to fish as many C++ tutorials and reading material of the net and try it that way, or go to the local library maybe they have them, thanks allot for the list of books.

2 of those threads are worse than this, theres nothing wrong with the one about vectors. I posted all those when I was bored in a computer class at school where I knew more than the damn teacher.

quote:
Original post by Lektrix
quote:
Original post by ScottC
Learn C++ b4 u read that book, it will be very confusing if you dont, sorry but this is the stupidest question ive EVER read

I've seen more idiotic questions from you. Like this, and this, and this, and this, and this.

Leave your fellow newbies alone.

[edited by - Lektrix on October 16, 2003 10:37:53 AM]

lol...And you took the time to look up all of those.

[edited by - starboarder on October 16, 2003 11:15:04 PM]

quote:
Original post by ScottC
2 of those threads are worse than this, theres nothing wrong with the one about vectors.

My point was that nobody flamed you for asking just as "stupid" questions.
quote:
Original post by ScottC
I posted all those when I was bored in a computer class at school where I knew more than the damn teacher.

Wow, you're amazing.
quote:
Original post by starboarder
lol...And you took the time to look up all of those.

... they're in his profile, which meant it took me all of one minute. Hard.

[edited by - Lektrix on October 17, 2003 10:46:58 AM]