Couple VERY newb questions - about RPG Engines

Started by
16 comments, last by StealthMint 20 years, 6 months ago
Nope, it isnt as close to Asheron''s call.

This is exactly what Ultima Online is. Other games require combat to advance in non-combat skills.Most games like these are just level treadmills. UO is totally skill based, with tons of skills and depending on the skill you are training, you will never have to kill a single monster. For something of this complexity, you will have to program your own game logic.

Mystique Legacy : Rise of the Forgotten World
Advertisement
You can't actually suggest RPG Maker 2000.

It's illegal software. It's a cracked and translated version of the ASCII of Japan's RPG Maker 2000.

It's also possible I could be wrong. If so, please correct me but things like this are pretty convincing that it's not legal

quote:
The free distribution of the RPG Maker 2000 program is no longer available. This is an attempt to pursuade ASCII to officially translate and release RPG Maker 2003 outside of Japan. RPG Palace supports ASCII. Release RM2k3 in English and we WILL buy it!

[edited by - Maega on October 16, 2003 12:46:44 AM]
LOL scott - I would think you make everyone else beyond sick - I have NEVER seen nor played Asherons Call, so your ignorance obviously shines through. In that game if you wanted to not kill a single monster through the entire thing but still have LOTS of content, story lines, quests could you? I somehow doubt it... What games are you making / attempting to make? I am ridiculously new to programming C++, so I''m trying to get some opinions on how these engines even work. Obviously someone who makes remarks as bold as that works where? Sony perhaps? I doubt it...

I did play UO, but the Character progression is no where near what I want to make. At low level there may be only 10 skills you can start mastering - but the higher you go in one of those skills it will open up more and more skills. I want it be very tree / branched out. That had everything you could do from the start...Like Fencing, Parrying, etc. The problem with EVERY game I''ve seen you can''t totally customize the skills you have down to every detail. I''m going to make it so if someone want''s to make a character that is very good with a crossbow and casting a fire storm spell, they can level up that specific crossbow type and that specific spell. Or, if you want to be very good with a lot of spells you can, but one single spell with never be better than someone who mastered a single one.

Ok, I suppose I''ll just make my own engine. Thanks for the people who tried to help
Maega

u cant say that
i think u''ll find just about everybody running Visual C++ or Visual Basic, 3dMax etc will have downloaded it ileagally. (but not me )
+ RPG Toolkit and RPG maker 2k suk
get ure self Visual C++ and mak a proper engine StealthMint, coz it''ll b bettr in the long run

Okie - thank you Holy Sok...I think I am gonna do that, but the graphics at first are going to be 2d stick figure looking guys just so I can test the internal code :D
I would definatly stay with 2d first. Since you have experience with networking programming, you might want to try a "very very simple" online "feature". Not an MMORPG, but an online arena community. Just a suggestion.

If you don''t think you can create an engine so early into C++, you should try RPGds (crypticdesigns.com). Read the info there for more info.

WiseElben.com | My Journal | My Profile

Projects: nMagic - Voted #1 in DOSGamesWeekly, a nondiversial DOS lover magazines.

[edited by - GameDev Staff on September 27, 1989 9X:58:97 XMS] For violating Article 43 Page 456 Paragraph 251 Line .042]
Sorry for the mistake, I guess your right, it isn''t like asherons call. Its like darkfall online. Lol, looks great.
Well since you are familiar with VB you could always program your game with that. I myself wouldn''t but it could save you some time. I am currently working on a Zelda style game (c++ and directx), much like the original nintendo one, and if you are interested in some graphics (i have quite a few tilesets) I am willing to share. That will help a bit anyway!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement