Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kertap

linear algebra in graphics

Hi Im a final year cs and maths student and I just found out linear algebra is used in graphics. So my question is: How?

offtopic: Your school lacks in certain areas.

On topic:
In everything, just about.
I suggest looking through some of the fine tutorials here on GameDev for more valuable advice.

~V''lion

Bugle4d

Off topic : there are dozen ways linear algebra can make its way into computer programming, including neural networks, 3D graphics, physics, etc...

On topic : yes, transforms (both 2D and 3D) are usually done using "linear" algebra. This is still true for everything involving vectors, such as lighting, projecting shadows, space partitioning, backface culling, linear interpolation.

Off topic again : but in 3D graphics, it's not linear algebra anymore, it's affine & projective algebra. But I'm just trying to be annoying

ToohrVyk

[edited by - ToohrVyk on October 17, 2003 3:14:22 AM]

The velocity of an object flying through the airless air can be represented in local coordinates with a vector bound to the origin. It''s head, determining it''s direction, represented with x,y,z coordinates, is a distance from the origin. This distance is the speed of the object. velocity has speed and direction. Acceleration is also a vector. Gravity is a down vector. So if in your pipeline, you transformed from world to camera coordinates, where your camera is conveniently pointing down the z axis, the y axis will be up and the gravity''s y component will be negative. The gravity vector is constant, but when you add it to the motion vector continually, the velocity of the object changes. Watch below:

-------->
*bang* |
V
``--____
*-_ ~
- |
\ ` V
\ `|
\ v
\
\
\