Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AndyGeers

Cartoon Smoke + Fire

Hi there, I''m looking into techniques for rendering non-photorealistic effects such as smoke and fire. Does anybody remember the good old days of "DangerMouse" - if so, I''m sure you''ll know what I mean by a cartoon explosion :-) Does anybody have any ideas or links on any existing techniques out there? I already know about general cel-shading techniques, but I''ve not seen anything about using them to produce cool special effects like explosions. Cheers, Andy

IMO, getting things to look cartoony is 95% artistic creativity and 5% fancy rendering algorithms.

You just need to "think flat"

I don''t have any suggestion for fire, because it depends on the drawing style you want to match. There are a million ways one can draw fire, from the most realistic one to the most metaphoric one, and the first step in cartoon graphics is choose your game''s style. A good start is draw/pick references. After you have some 2D reference images, try to re-create them in 3D.

As for smoke, Zone of the Enders 2 uses an interesting smoke when things blow up. The debris leaves smoke trails, that are simply lots of particles with a cartoonish dark smoke cloud texture (2-step shadows). Since the smoke clouds have only two colors (light and shadow), they look like they merge into a big smoke volume when you have lots of them, at different sizes, close of each other.

If you can, play "The Legend of Zelda - Wind Waker" for inspiration. It has many, many gorgeous "hand-drawn" effects, and it's also a great game all round.

-Nik

EDIT: typo

[edited by - Nik02 on October 16, 2003 3:52:24 PM]