Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Modeling and Rendering of the Atmosphere Using Mie-Scattering" by Jackel, Walter

This topic is 5172 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I''m interested to know if anyone has tried to implement the paper by Jackel and Walter, "Modeling and Rendering of the Atmosphere Using Mie-Scattering" Or at least the single scattering part of the paper. I''m looking for an accurate algorithm to render the sky, I have implemented the famous "daylight" paper but I''m looking for more control. The daylight paper is based on a simulation done from another paper, "Display Method of the Sky Color Taking into Account Multiple Scattering" by Nishita. I think the Jackel and Walter paper looks a bit easier so if anyone has given it a try please let me know. Cheers, Patrik

Evil double-integrals. Good luck, man.

I believe the paper is describing an offline rendering technique. If that is what you''re looking for, it shouldn''t be that hard to implement this method, just plug in the formulas and discretize the double-integrals with some version of the Hemicube method you''d find in Radiosity calculation.

If you''re talking about real-time (which to me would be far more interesting) then you''re gonna have to simply, approximate, optimize, and precalculate like mad to get this to work.

Since atmopheric changes happen on a fairly slow basis, parameters would only have to be computed once every minute or so and these parameters passed to a vertex/fragment shader.

So I haven''t actually tried it no, but it seems doable.

Tom

Guest Anonymous Poster
It''s for NON-realtime rendering.
Just to clarify :-)

quote:
Original post by Patrik Svensson
I''m interested to know if anyone has tried to implement the paper
by Jackel and Walter,
"Modeling and Rendering of the Atmosphere Using Mie-Scattering"

can you give me a link to the paper?
Thanks

Guest Anonymous Poster
Ooops,
I can''t find it anymore on the net.
I have a copy of it but I don''t think I''m allowed to distribute it.

Cheers,