Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beginners Forum Request

This topic is 5176 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was wondering if it would be possible if one of the moderators could maybe put a sticky up in the beginners forums that has links to some frequently asked questions. I have been a casual reader of this forum for a while and it seems like the same questions come up over and over again. Cheerz Sacs ____________________________________ So long and thanks for all the fish Team lead for LocoLAN, a scottish LAN party
FAQ as in technicality or links/ect? If its the first, that would take a long time to compose, plus the fact it will be pointless. If we had that, why do we need a Beginner forums?

WiseElben.com | My Journal | My Profile

Projects: nMagic - Voted #1 in DOSGamesWeekly, a nondiversial DOS lover magazines.

[edited by - GameDev Staff on September 27, 1989 9X:58:97 XMS] For violating Article 43 Page 456 Paragraph 251 Line .042]

I agree a suitable sticky would be hard to compose but, something with the ten most common questions on it linked to suitable reading material would help greatly.

It just seems like there is a lot of posts on here that ask the same question. A good example is "I know C++ and want to program games, where do I start?". I realise these folks should read the site first before posting, so I just thought it would be good to point folks to the right places on the site before they post something already covered. If their question is not answered they could ask a more detailed question in the forum.

For Beginners might be better off to just be posts about technical details/errors that a beginner is having trouble with or questions on certain aspects that books or tutorials might not go into much. If thats what it was used for, which it already covers, then there would be no problem with having a stickey on finding compilers and links to freeware/shareware/open source ones, finding tutorials and links to some good tutorials, book recomendations, links to some of the for beginners articles, etc. It might cut down on traffic which means other questions that are more important can be solved faster. I can help on this project if it ends up being done.

[edited by - Aerolithe on October 17, 2003 5:05:47 PM]

This problem could probably be solved by making the ''View Forum FAQ'' link larger, along with a possible rewording ("View the most frequently asked ''FORUM_NAME'' questions").

Richard "Superpig" Fine
- saving pigs from untimely fates, and when he''s not doing that, runs The Binary Refinery.
Enginuity1 | Enginuity2 | Enginuity3 | Enginuity4
ry. .ibu cy. .y''ybu. .abu ry. dy. "sy. .ubu py. .ebu ry. py. .ibu gy." fy. .ibu ny. .ebu
OpenGL is a language