Phasers on Shields effect?

Started by
14 comments, last by Torn Space 20 years, 5 months ago
Can anyone give me some tips on getting that "phasers on shields" effect in a 3d game? What I have so far is a transparent sphere that I fade in then out. This is almost right, but it looks like the shot is hitting and enveloping the entire ship. I want only a part of the shield''s sphere to light up where the shot is hitting. Does that make sense? If not I can make some images of what I''m talking about.
Advertisement
Try using only parts of textured spheres where each impact happens, if blended right it should look fine.

[edited by - Shane I am on October 16, 2003 5:23:20 PM]
You could also fake it by turning off all lights except a point light at the spot where the phaser hits it, render the shield sphere, then do your normal rendering afterwards. Crank up the specular values REAL high to whatever color you want the glow to be on the light and use a blended texture.

---
http://www.gapingwolf.com
--- - 2D/Pixel Artist - 3D Artist - Game Programmer - Ulfr Fenris[[ Gaping Wolf Software ]] [[ GameGenesis Forums ]]
Shane: Duh... Ok, now I feel so stupid! I made a "partial sphere" mesh and then just rotated it to the right position.

Thanks... I''ll be sure to post binaries asap (3d space shooter).

Projected textures might look better.
I did think about more "elegant" solutions, however we''re talking something that''s probably going to be no larger than 10-20 pixels on the screen. At the most, 40-50 pixels.
quote:
Projected textures might look better.

Are you recommending using a textured QUAD rendered as a billboard at the point where the phaser intersection with the shield? If this is not the case, can you explain your implementation of a projected texture?

Understanding is a three edged sword...

[edited by - Sean Doherty on October 17, 2003 8:28:21 PM]
_______________________________________Understanding is a three edged sword...Freelance Games - Home of XBLIG Starchonwww.FreelanceGames.com
Projective textures can be projected onto curved surfaces as well as quads. But, yeah, that would be overkill for this. Can''t wait to see the game!
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
A spherical mesh with a funky texture on it. Make it dynamic, and when hit, modify the alpha values on the vertices to be opaque-ish near where it''s hit, and then fade off. Stronger hits would wrap more than tiny ones. Of course this might be overkill, but it''d look cool.

Stay Casual,

Ken
Drunken Hyena
Stay Casual,KenDrunken Hyena
This is really easy to do, on your sphere the intensity of the effect is simply the dot product of the normal at that particular point and the vector of the phaser beam and clamp it at zero, if you want to concentrate it more square it or cube it.

This can be done the easiest in a vertex shader and a nicely tesseslated mesh

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement