Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyNewbie

Adding functions to a static base class doesn't work?

I''m using a "Singleton" base class in my project, a la Game Programming Gems, which is defined as follows:
// Singleton.h (thanks superpig!)

#ifndef _SINGLETON_H_
#define _SINGLETON_H_

#include <assert.h>

template<typename T>
class Singleton
{
   static T* ms_singleton;
   public:
      Singleton()
      {
         assert(!ms_singleton);
         //use a cunning trick to get the singleton pointing to the start of

//the whole, rather than the start of the Singleton part of the object

int offset = (int)(T*)1 - (int)(Singleton <T>*)(T*)1;
         ms_singleton = (T*)((int)this + offset);
      }
      ~Singleton()
      {
         assert(ms_singleton);
         ms_singleton=0;
      }
      static T& GetSingleton()
      {
         assert(ms_singleton);
         return *ms_singleton;
      }	  
////////////// THE NEW FUNCTION //////////////////

static bool Exists()
	  {
		  return false;
	  }
//////////////////////////////////////////////////

static T* GetSingletonPtr()
      {
         assert(ms_singleton);
         return ms_singleton;
      }

};

template <typename T> T* Singleton <T>::ms_singleton = 0;

#endif
I use this class as a base class for any other class I want to be a singleton [re-read that sentence, it made sense!] However, a problem arose in the message loop, mainly the message WM_SIZE that (apparently) occurs when the window is created and every time it is resized. The problem is that I want to call a class through this singleton stuff, but if I haven''t instantiated the singleton yet, the assertion fails and my program crashes. I wanted to get around this by adding a function, Singleton::Exists(), which would test to see if ms_singleton exists, and if it doesn''t... don''t do anything with it. However, when I add this new function and try to use it on a typical statement, like ==================================== if (CMyClass::Exists()) CMyclass::GetSingleton().OnPaint(); ==================================== but my compiler gives me errors saying that "''Exists()'' is not a member of ''CMyClass''. But it is a member of CMyClass, I defined it to be a member of its base class Excuse me, Microsoft Visual C++, but... WHY IS THIS HAPPENING!!! Can anyone halp meh? Am I missing something elementary about inheritance? It would be appreciated. "Let me just ejaculate some ideas"

Erm... nevermind, I seem to have identified my error a few minutes after I posted this. Funny how that works, eh? Anyways, for posterity [sic?], I was somehow managing to derive my class from a base class that it had no idea existed. I had #included "singleton.h", but singleton.h was nowhere to be found... so my class was derived from a class that [somehow] it knew about but didn''t know about... so making any errors in singleton.h would go unnoticed because it was simply not compiled. Stranger things have happened... but not many.