Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RiaHerod

PHP Tutorial help - Kids gaming website!!

Hi ~ I''m currently working on an educational childrens website that incorporates a virtual pet type program. I have already started to learn PHP coding (I know I should code it myself) yet I''m looking for a tutorial that can teach me aspects of writing PHP specifically for a virtual pet site! I''ve searched everywhere for one with no look!! If anyone knows of any related tutorials, or has any pointers or tips please post, or leave your msn name (I''m sorry I don''t have aim!) Thankyou in advance :D ~ Ria

Knowing nothing of PHP, my general advice would be not to be so specific. It''s doubtful there are any PHP tutorials specifically catered to what you want. I''d imagine a virtual pet is pretty simple, so I would just read up on the general PHP tutorials.

quote:
Original post by RiaHerod
Hi ~ I''m currently working on an educational childrens website that incorporates a virtual pet type program.

I have already started to learn PHP coding (I know I should code it myself) yet I''m looking for a tutorial that can teach me aspects of writing PHP specifically for a virtual pet site!

I''ve searched everywhere for one with no look!! If anyone knows of any related tutorials, or has any pointers or tips please post, or leave your msn name (I''m sorry I don''t have aim!)

Thankyou in advance :D

~ Ria

Hey. I code in php yet I have not heard of any tutorials directed specifically at building a virtual pets site. The real issue is breaking down the project into smaller bits and defining what it is exactly that must be accomplished from each bit. Firmly defining that should allow you to explore the right information needed for each part. I truly recommend a decent book on php, such as beginning php4 or professional php programming, both by publisher wrox. I think if you attempt to learn the language thoroughly the ideas for implementing your project should come easier to you. Good luck.

Thankyou guy''s for your reply''s.

I was quite sure there wasn''t any specific tutorials out there, but I just wanted to make sure before I do it the hard way - lol!

So I''ll break down the project into smaller pieces...Thanks again!

~ Ria

Guest Anonymous Poster
Just something I learned: when teaching yourself programming, the hard way is the best way. There is no such thing as the easy way in general, but then there are some imitations, but they don''t teach you anything good, like quality style of code and good problem-solving skills - they teach you instead hacks and workarounds and that just screws you up in the long run.

Well, this might be a stupid idea, but...

I code in both PHP and C++. I am not by any means an expert in PHP but I always find it easy enough to translate one to another.

My advice would be to search for a C++ or Java virtual pet program and translate what you can.

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!