Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stefaniii

Which video cards exactly cannot support large textures?

Does anyone know of a list of video cards and their supported texture sizes? As well as whether they support square textures or not? Making everything square can be very annoying.. and if i''m doing it just for the Voodoo 1 users... well screw them . How new does a video card have to be to support at least 1024x1024 and non sqaure textures?

Voodoo 3 was among the last mainstream 3d cards NOT to support textures larger than 256*256.
Note the "mainstream".

-Nik

EDIT: "Non-square" textures support is a rarity even now.

[edited by - Nik02 on October 21, 2003 3:47:41 AM]

hrm, i neva thought we were limited to square textures :O i could be *seriously* wrong, but i was under the impression the only limitation we had in terms of texture size is that the amgnitude for either width or height must be in powers of 2 but not necessarily equal to each other. was this not the case back in good ol voodoo days?

quote:
Original post by Nik02
I assume that by "non-square", Stefaniii meant "non-pow2".

Actually this too, although this isn''t really a problem. I thought I read somewhere though that some cards had trouble with non-square textures, like say 1024x256.

for OpenGL driver/hardware issues you can use the hardware registry at delphi3d.net, where you can find out which card/driver supports which texture size running on OpenGL.

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

CraZeE: "i think the latest can reach 8192*8192"

Not too sure about that:

8192 x 8192 x 4 = 268,435,456 = 256MB

There''d be no room for any buffers or anything. I''m sure that the chipsets can do it, it''s just that there''s not enough memory on the current cards.