'Why CS degrees suck rocks'

Started by
49 comments, last by SiliconMunky 20 years, 5 months ago
Because MagMai the moderator wanted this thread, here we go....
Advertisement
you suck.
i have a very funny and interesting story:
a company where i worked before, were such "only CS degree guys" - and only such guys !! Their nose was always on the ceiling, because of their arrogance...

the funny thing was, that these guys where able to solve each math equation in their had; telling me the whole day of programming physics and simulation-modells for technical processes; saying to me how, compute this and how compute that, which way there is to solve which problem in math... among this, speaking the whole day over DirectX API and it's usage in our simulation; thinking of pixel- and vertex-shaders, philosophize over extended rendering functions and such things.

the day when i really get shocked was if i found out that these "pseudo proffesional simulation developer and holy day shit talkers" are unable to program with Win32 and MFC API, have never heard of things like gimbal lock and doing their stuff without a CVS system, running on servers with no backup

as you can see, a CS degree makes you a complete professional computer developer !

DJSnow
---
this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature

[edited by - DJSnow on October 21, 2003 9:45:40 AM]
DJSnow---this post is manually created and therefore legally valid without a signature
This is BY FAR the most stupid topic I have ever seen on this board. Are the mods in the business of letting a flame war like this explode without intervening at ALL??

Think about this logically:

It doesn''t really matter what course you do or qualifications you have. If you are interested (and to some degree talented) in and at what you do, you will make it your business to learn what you need as you go along, and you will succeed.

Now, if we could have a little bit of goddamn maturity please?

RM.

------------------------------------------------------------
Yes. it''''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
------------------------------------------------------------Yes. it''s true, I DO wield the ugly stick. And I see I have beaten you with it before!
quote:Original post by Ritual Magic
This is BY FAR the most stupid topic I have ever seen on this board. Are the mods in the business of letting a flame war like this explode without intervening at ALL??

Think about this logically:

It doesn''t really matter what course you do or qualifications you have. If you are interested (and to some degree talented) in and at what you do, you will make it your business to learn what you need as you go along, and you will succeed.

Now, if we could have a little bit of goddamn maturity please?

RM.

Yes it is stupid. It''s the continuation of another stupid thread that was locked, and I assume this will be locked soon too.
I wouldn''t say a CS degree sucks.. just that it has way less of a use than it used to.

I know here at work human resources switched from wanting people with CS degrees to people with engineering degrees.

Even with my own personal observations, the people with comp/software/etc engineering degrees can way outperform someone with a CS degree in development.

Crap! I don''t have an engineering degree... oh wait, I don''t have a CS degree either! Crap! I have liberal arts degree - I''m completely screwed!!! Oh wait, I already have a job...
By the time I''ll get my CS degree it''ll probably be back in fashion, out of fashion, and back again 5 times more, I don''t care.. I''m having fun.
People are so comfortable with generalizing. So what if your experience tells you CS degree is out of fashion? I promise that in 100 other places it is still considered to be worth something. And if your CS graduates walk with their nose in the ceiling, they don''t account for every other graduate.
That''s my opinion.. Just do your thing, love it, and stuff will work out.. Because there are endless opportunities around us, we just need to attract the ones that''ll fit us.
Computer science at many uni''s have nothing to do(or at least used to) with software development, and mostly concern itself with theoretical stuff(algorithms, datastructures, complexity/computability, kompinatoric optimization, new stuff in functional programming, semantic/logic/language stuff(not my field, dont really know what they call it)).Many of the lectures at my uni, can hardly program, and have no clue about different API''s.

As for myself, i''ve only had 3.5 courses that required standard programming, the 3 being java courses, and the final one being a computer graphics course were we had a "speed" course in C++ for use with the exercises. Im definetly not planning on working as a programmer, when i finish studying.
This thread has taught me much, at least that CS means Computer Science and that people with such degrees are stupid.

now where did i forget those pills...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement