OpenGL 2.0

Started by
14 comments, last by dunkel3d 20 years, 5 months ago
Does anyone know when OpenGL 2.0 will finalized and released to the public? S
Advertisement
OpenGL 2.0 will not be released in the near future. The ARB decided the new shading lanuage will not be added as a core feature but rather as an extension. So the next version of OpenGL will be 1.5

For more info:

http://www.opengl.org/developers/about/arb/notes/meeting_note_2003-06-10.html

They''re not going to add it as a core feature? man, are they trying to kill the API off as far as it''s use in games? Talk about handing MS the gold platter with your ass on it. Damn, perhaps I should just go and learn DX instead....
quote:Original post by microbe

They''re not going to add it as a core feature? man, are they trying to kill the API off as far as it''s use in games? Talk about handing MS the gold platter with your ass on it. Damn, perhaps I should just go and learn DX instead....

Extensions is a fast and efficient method to add new features...the only revolution in the last years is given by NVIDIA shaders/per fragment programs/... and they are supported by OpenGL via extensions.
With extensions you can ask directly to the driver what it can do without wait for a new API release.
sorry to hijack the thread, but do any of you know where I can get hold of Win32 OpenGL 1.4 libraries and sdk for VC6?
do unto others... and then run like hell.
you can''t. you have to get the function pointers for opengl versions above 1.1 like they were extensions.
see the FAQ for libs you can use to make it easier on your life

microbe:
in the windows world everything OGL function since 1.1 is an extension anyways.
ATI already have a beta of the new shading lang iirc, and i dare say Nvidia aint far behind, so there will be no delay on it getting into the drivers.
quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
ATI already have a beta of the new shading lang iirc, and i dare say Nvidia aint far behind, so there will be no delay on it getting into the drivers.

NO DELAY ? What are you talking about ? MS delayed all the stuff and the ARB isn''t able to move their asses for a very long time now. I had to rewrite my shadercode three times due to vendor-specific renderpaths. I hope that GLSlang will make an end to it, but talking about "no delays" seems a bit out of topic here.
OpenGL must get more ARB-Style with extensions that work with more hardware than ATI and NV.
On the last meeting my boss decided to drop the support for OpenGL and rewrite our engine for DX9. That sucks very bad, because the engine was developed under OpenGL for 3 years now, but i can understand this decision, because OpenGL is too expensive to develop for. Rewriting very Shader one time after another makes things too complicated. The coders at our company also have another tasks, then to care about every piece of hardware seperatly.
OpenGL will die, if 1.5 will not make many things different. But i see it this way : When GLSlang arrives, OpenGL still lacks on support for vendor-independent fbuffers. And this will go on and on.

cu
Tom

P.S.: The onlyone laughing is MS and this makes me cry .
ARB_fragment_program and ARB_vertex_program worked on both ATi and nvidia cards last time I checked.

____________________________________________________________www.elf-stone.com | Automated GL Extension Loading: GLee 5.00 for Win32 and Linux

the key part of your arugment is that ''MS delayed stuff'' and lo and behold, MS leave the ARB and suddenly things start happening faster.

As for fbuffers atm afaik there isnt even a vender dependant version of them and, again afaik, there is only one card which supports them in hardware anyway.

and OpenGL wont die until it stops being used for the many comerical things it used for and until MS port DX to linux and Mac to name two OSes which use it for its 3d gfx API

And as Benjamin bunny pointed out, both ARB fragment and vertex program extensions have been avaible for a while now, so it seems your boss called for a switch without just cause imo

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement