Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EDI

Morning's Wrath: Screen Shots III

Greetings All, Some of you may already know that i''m currently working on a 2D Isometric Action/Adventute game. My project was almost cut down where it stood when I faced a large design flaw that I previously overlooked, fortunetly many brilliant developers came to my aid, a Mike Turner (Crazy Mike) in particular gave me the solution I am currently using. With that said, in the past I have been releasing screen shots of the progress of my game so far, there have been 2 previous posts (I think), I will continue to do so until the game is released (hopefully within a few months). All constructive feedback is welcome and encouraged, If anyone has a question like ''how did you do that?'' feel free to ask and I will do my best to explain it, though depending on what the topic is I may not be able to go into great detail. at the moment I only have 2 new screen shots to show, but they demonstrate the work ive been doing to furnish the first level of the game, it has been very hard considering im not an artist, if there are any artists out there that would like to help please contact me at elitef16 at juno dot com. Wizard''s Study, not complete:
screenshot

Morning''s Room and Royal Conference Room, not complete:
screenshot

I will continue to post to this thread as more screen shots come in, and at some point I will start a new thread with serries IV(most likly when i feel ive hit a large graphical milestone) Enjoy =) Raymond Jacobs, www.EDIGames.com www.EtherealDarkness.com

Voice your discontent! help stop the flames!

thanks=D

the screenshots listed show large sprites

the bed, dresser, table

are all examples of large sprites

is that what you meant? or would you like to see the table surrounded by people to show that no overdraw occurs?

=)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

quote:
Original post by EDI
the bed, dresser, table
are all examples of large sprites

Oh I see... I suspected that the table might be, but I wasn''t sure..

quote:

or would you like to see the table surrounded by people to show that no overdraw occurs?

that might be cool... the bed might be better just because it looks like a more complex shape (not square)

Something minor that may improve the overall look of your game, is change your floor graphics to use smaller ''tiles'' rather than just each game tile being one floor tile, (Have each game tile show a 4-6 floor tiles)

This will break up the blockiness in your game. Anyway to easily add curved walls to some parts? Rather than just square walls? (Rather than two walls meeting at right angles, they curve into each other or something)

Just a though, looks nice. is this going to be a free releae game? (Likely say on your site and I just missed it already,...) what is it going to take to run that game?

I think i could already do curved walls since the walls are simply an image, i''ll have to try it=)

the game wont be free, a demo of it will be availible for free, but the final full version will run between 10 to 15 dollars.

if the first game shows that it will sell well, then i will continue the serries, the game is designed to have a new eppisode released each year.

the game requires a pretty good video card to run, I develop using a radeon 9500 with 128 MB VRAM

128 mb to 256 mb of System ram

and probably a 500mhz to 1 ghz proccessor

lightmap levels can be reduced to lower the video card requirements, aswell as the system ram requirements.

these numbers are sketchy since i have yet to do actual tests on it yet.

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Here is the screen shot that TempusElf requested =D

*comercial announcer voice*
Now with even more Morning flavor!!!

screenshot

as you can see nothing is wrongly occluded, thanks to the wonderful drawing order idea that Mike came up with =)

*removes the script code that was added to make all these sprites*

=D

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Do all the Character Sprites give off light? it just seems that the bed is very bright.. and the tiles under all of those ladies are brighter then the ones next to them...

Just wondering it might just be the way the lighting works... but over all I really like what I see.. you keep saying that your not an artist but I really think it looks good.. maybe it could be cleaned up a little by a professional, but I think those are definitly good enough for a finished game.. but I''m a fan of gameplay over fancy graphics..

Keep up the good work, I hope I can have a project at that level so day

Please visit Turt99 Productions

Turt99

Thank you very much for the kind words =)
it makes me want to press on=D

you are correct about the light, at the moment the sprite configuration file i used for the sprites in question give off a very large light radius, so each one is a light source, at the moment they are the only light sources in the scene and the ambient light is set medium high-ish, since she is the main character "Princess Morning of Leowyn" i thought it good to give her an extra large light radius, most characters will have a much smaller one, and some wont have any at all and will be lit by the light radius of thier surroundings.

I really dont consider myself an artist though people say im pretty good at what I do, I guess it''s just that I really dont ''love'' doing graphics, wherein somthing like coding really gets me fired up=)

good enough for a finished game you say? I guess so, though I lack many things in art, mostly details and color coordination, my defense for this of cource is who playing the game realy notices such things, I too belive in gameplay and story over glitz, the graphical interface should be ''pretty'' enough so that it at least impacts a neutral effect on the player so s/he isnt constantly going *annoying gamer voice: This game looks it was made in 1970* this game''s main selling point will be it''s story and hopefully ease of gameplay, Its primary selling point though is that it will be a game serries, moderatly priced with a contining story, my ''plans'' are for it to have around 10-12 eppisodes but things are still too early to tell.

again If anyone is interested in helping with this project please let me know, helping me gets your name in the credits as well as a free copy of the game, if I find you are wiling to do a large amount of work on things than we can talk about a percentage cut of sales *if there are any*

Thank you all again for your support =)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

As I said before, I would love to help with your game,... but with this computer I can''t run the code, only look at it, and as I can''t do much in coding I''m not of much use in that area either.

If you have a level editor thats fairly easy to use, then I could do that for you, but thats likely about it.

What sort of help are you looking for anyway?

Talroth:

Why is it that you cant run the code on your machine?
non windows OS?

what is your area of expertise?

the main help im looking for is graphics creation
and level design.

i have a map editor built, it can be seen in screen shot 23

it works pretty good if i do say so myself, not exceptionaly user friendly though so it would take some lessons from me to learn how to use it.

let me know if your interested in getting hold of the editor =)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Yeah,... I''m still using a 100mhz computer, win95,... I''m not really planning to replace it with a new computer till the spring,...

If you think your level editor would run on my com, send me an email. I have a hotmail account with username LordTalroth (Broken to advoid email addy scanners,...)

Your screen shots are getting better and better. It''s looking really good.

quote:
Original post by EDI
haha, now all i need is to put a fat king in the bed with a nice little voice over...

''Grapes! Where are my GRAPES!!!''

;-)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

LOL, that would be awesome.

-UltimaX-

"You wished for a white christmas... Now go shovel your wishes!"

The game looks great. Need any other programming help?

Hope you give it more than episode to try it out. I read somewhere (it may even have been on gamedev) that indie/shareware programs often don''t have good initial sales, but with sustained effort can often obtain good sales.

Anyway, good luck.

new shot,

not exactly a game shot, but it shows some new rug tile sets that I made (made as in, tilized a picture of a rug) some of the rugs are kinda ick, original pictures were in 256 color so the quality sucked, i got the pics off the inet a long time ago, cant remember where lol, im pretty sure they were free to use *hopes* all in all you should be seeing some different flooring and other floor accents in future screen shots=)

just floor and rugs
screenshot

added some existing furniture just to see how it would look
screenshot

=D
enjoy

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Mike:

at the moment most of the real programing work is ''done''
unless i come across another bug =/

there are some small things that need to be coded but at the moment they are minor compared to the amount of graphical work i need to do *pulls out hair*... (realizes he hasnt eaten all day)

all in all things are going well, i did some minor coding last night, built the Cinematic component, basicly is a striped down equivilent of MS powerpoint lol,

since a long time a go i realized that with my massive team of 1 or 2 people i probably wouldnt have time to have full motion renderd cinematics, so instead of leaving cinematics out i decided to make them be sort of a slide show of action frames and sound, changing with crossfades and motion and such, so a cinematic can now be scripted using XML and it works pretty good for 2 hours of work. now all i have to do is actualy renderd all of the 30(i think it''s 30) action shots for the intro movie alone... better than animating a 4 to 5 minuet intro movie though i guess.

ive started compiling a list of all the people i need to give thanks to in the game credits *aswell as send them a copy of the game* seems that my credits might be atleast large enough for one screen lol

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

Guest Anonymous Poster
Raymond, I just wanted to say, ''Keep up the great work!''.

I was wondering if you could give us some project stats like:

How long it has taken you to get to this point.
About how many lines of code you think you have written
What you think your game''s requirements will be (CPU\Memory\etc)

Thanks

>>Raymond, I just wanted to say, ''Keep up the great work!''.

Thanks AP, it''s been a long road thus far but things are moving forward.

>>I was wondering if you could give us some project stats like:

sure i''ll do my best to give accurate information

>>How long it has taken you to get to this point.

well thats a bit of a tough question but here is what i do know for sure.

the game engine Flare (version 1.0) began development about 2 years ago, it is currently in version 3. as i was developing the engine i had a neat game idea and i was building it along with the engine, this game was/is called TID(Tears in the dark) it was a horror game (sierra''s Phantasmagoria got me into computers/programing/game development back in like 97) this game was using flare v2 and while developing it i overcame many stumbling blocks, but the game didint go far this was manily because the constraints of the engine having to develop the engine aswell as the game drained all the energy out of me and i finaly became disgusted with the idea of the game, im sure many of you have faced such things.

so then not knowing what to do, i got back to basics and did some thinking, i spent about a good 2 weeks going over what the engine had and what it needed and what it didnot need, i went through a few sessions of refining the engine in stages and when i was done, v3 was the result, this was about 6-7 months ago, once i had v3 done and was satisfied that it could carry out most of the tasks at hand that doomed TID i set forth to come up with a new game idea, since the though of doing TID made me sick, it was around this time that LOTR TTT came out, i had seen the felowship of the ring and really liked it, and i saw TTT and thought it was as good if not better, i have always liked medievil type stuff and decided why not do a medievil type game, like Diablo but only with a more engrosing story, so i put myself into creative mode and began to dream up a story...

the first thing that came to mind was that the main character should be female, simply because i like the idea of female heros(heoriens) because it''s un-conventional (less so now adays tho) and many of my favorite games had female main characters (Phant,KQ4 KQ7) the next thought was ''im going to play upon the ideas of good and evil'' what better way than a war.. to make a long story short here is the basic game synopsis...

you assume the role of Princess Morning of Leowyn,
the kingdom of Leowyn has become threatened by the kingdom of Ashidia to the west, word that the ashidians have layed waste to many of the lands west of Leowyn, concerns the people of leowyn, but they will not immediatly commit to battle since they are a peace loving people. without warning half the ashidian army marches against the stronghold of the kingdom of Leowyn, Castle Iridine, the ill prepared Leowyns are easily overcome and the castle begins to fall, Morning observes this from the top floor of the castle through her bedroom window and decided that she must help defeat the army, since this may be the fall of her kingdom, she knows she may die, but not without a fight.

the game basicly is fighting increasingly harder enemies getting weapons and armor getting party members, learning magic, and finaly ends with an epic battle of you and your party members in the castle courtyard where you and your 6 compainons must push back the ashidian army.

pretty cool eh?

>>About how many lines of code you think you have written

lines of code, well the engine in v2 was about 5000 lines
its now aproximately 3000 lines (made cleaner code and better code reuse) and i belive the game code so far tacks on another ~2000 lines.

>>What you think your game''s requirements will be (CPU\Memory\etc)

the game will require a higher end video card, i develop on a radeon 9500(i think) with 128 vram and capability of 32 bit color at at least 800x600 though other resolutions are supported
depending on adaptor

game will require 128 MB system ram,
512 for some adaptors(GDI instead of DX)

requires a 100% directsound compatible sound card, hardware accellerated recomended.

will probably require atleast 1 gig of full install space

hope that answers some of your questions=)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

btw everyone,

new screenshot, showing the dialogue box, with some really not exciting not well thought out text in it=)

found an nice celtic border online, modulated it to be gold, choped it up sized it and borderd the box with it, i think it looks nice, anyone dis/agree?

screenshot

more coming later today/tomorrow

re-did animations for morning in 'peace' mode changed color of dress and actualy put some textures on it.

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

[edited by - EDI on November 3, 2003 9:51:57 AM]

>>EDI, can I ask you how you did the GUI?
>>is it MFC?

Im glad you asked Ilankt,

the GUI is entirely custom everything is drawn by the engine
and all the interaction is handled apropriately,
the main idea is that a window and it's controls can be described using an XML document
for instance...

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<frame name="mywindow" left="0" top="0" width="320" height="240">
<image>data/windowbg.gmb</image>
<client x1="2" y1="2" x2="2" y2="2"></client>
<controls>
<control name="button1" type="button" left="10" top="10" width="100" height="40">
<image>data/buttonbg.gmb</image>
<client x1="2" y1="2" x2="2" y2="2"></client>
<caption>Button 1</caption>
</control>
</controls>
</frame>

so thats how i would make a small window with a button on it...

now this file must be used in code as such...

//be sure the wnd1 delegate is registerd

g_game.RegisterDelegate("wnd1delegate",(EventDelegate*)Wnd1Delegate);

//get the window manager from the game

FC_2DWindowManager *lpwinman;
lpwinman=g_game.WindowManager();

//define a window(could be a subclass)

FC_2DWindowFrame wnd1;
// set the event handler delegate for the window

wnd1.Delegate("Wnd1Delegate");
//load the window

wnd1.Load("data/wnd1.xml",lpwinman);
//center the window on screen

wnd.Center()
//show the window

wnd.Visible(true);

then of cource the delegate function is how you handle logic for the window

void* Wnd1Delegate(FC_2DWindowFrame *lpframe,unsigned long event)
{
switch(event)
{
case FrameActivate:
//do some hide show logic if you want

break;
case ControlMouseClick:
if(lpframe->SelectedControl()->NameIs("button1"))
{
//do somthing when button 1 is clicked

}
break;
}
}

so thats how i design and use my GUI,

I also made a program that lets me visualy design the GUI then it compiles it down the XML format

so while it took alot of work and time to make, it now saves me oodles of time=)

Raymond Jacobs,

www.EDIGames.com

www.EtherealDarkness.com

[edited by - EDI on November 3, 2003 1:31:55 PM]