Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rendertarget1

Is it worth it upgrading to the .NET enviroment?

What are the advantages to upgrading to the .NET compiler/enviroment from using Visual Studio 6? just for Game Programming using c++? excluding having languages like c# etc. Just for c++ game programming projects. Are there many of you that are using .NET and c++? Iv''e heard about optimization,but doesn''t that mainly depend on the code you write anyway? Is it worth the upgrade? or am i better off sticking with 6.0? Cheers from a .NET newbie.

If you''re just interested in their C++ compiler, I suggest looking at Borland''s brand new BuilderX C++ IDE. It''s free for personal use, even for commercial projects. Furthermore, it''s a fabulous IDE! It''s even cross-platform for Windows, Linux and Solaris ...

www.borland.com

- Ben

quote:
Original post by carb
If you''re just interested in their C++ compiler, I suggest looking at Borland''s brand new BuilderX C++ IDE. It''s free for personal use, even for commercial projects. Furthermore, it''s a fabulous IDE! It''s even cross-platform for Windows, Linux and Solaris ...

www.borland.com

- Ben

If I''m not mistaken the compiler Borland utilizes in BXC++ is in no way as standard compliant as the one in VC++ 2003 (although Borland are claiming they''re working on a 100% compliant compiler, if that''s possible at all).

So I''d assume that VC++ is better for straight C++. But hey that''s just my oppinion

"Yeah, I would''ve killed you, but I''m glad I didn''t - the paperwork is a bitch"

To clarify, Borland C++ BuilderX can use GCC (MingW), BCC, ICC (from Intel w/ license) or even vc (MS''s compiler w/ license) of course, you''ll most likely only have bcc and gcc, but both are relatively standards compliant, with GCC being prefered in general. (I''m not sure what the strengths of bcc are, I''ve never really used it.)