Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Evil_Greven

My Second Game - Stormrunner. Need feedback.

Download Stormrunner here ----------------------------------------------------------------- Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to defend the Stormrunner, the flagship of the -Ites. You may select from one of six fighters to accomplish this task, each differing in their handling, shields, hull, and weaponry. But if you OR the Stormrunner die.. you''ll have to try again. ----------------------------------------------------------------- This is my second game, first project after my little Tetris clone. After vast input from my fellow -Ites (a Mysterious Group, be afraid! or not), I''ve made some modifications.. this game is NOT finished, especially in regard to sounds. These should be temporary sounds. Controls are as follows: CTRL - Fires Laser Cannons END - Changes Cannon link mode notesingle/double/quad for Xwing, for other ships it is simply single/double or single/triple) TAB or DELETE - Fires Missile weapons (if you have it) ARROW KEYS - movement up/down/left/right ESC - From Main Menu, exits. From Game Over or Pause, returns to game (new if game over), from anywhere else, it returns to Main Menu. OPTIONS - Here is where you select your ship and you can turn sound on/off if you want. Simply move your cursor over the ship you want, but if you click it will return to the main menu with whatever ship is not blacked out. However, you must use click to turn sound on/off, and in this regard it will not exit to Main Menu. Ships are as follows: Firefox - 3 cannons, 8 Concussion Missiles - 200 shield, 100 hull, 100 agil X-Wing - 4 cannons, 8 Torpedos - 200 shield, 100 hull, 90 agil Y-Wing - 2 cannons, 8 Heavy Rockets - 250 shield, 150 hull, 70 agil B-Wing - 3 cannons, 6 Space Bombs - 300 shield, 200 hull, 60 agil A-Wing - 2 cannons, 6 Adv. Concussion Missiles - 175 shield, 75 hull, 120 agil, *jamming device E-Wing - 3 cannons, 6 Adv. Torpedoes - 225 shield, 125 hull, 80 agil *note: jamming device has a chance to prevent an enemy from firing briefly. POWERUPS (these are used instantly when picked up): Red M: Full missiles Red S: Full shields Red H: Full hull Red F: Freezes enemy''s time Blue S: Full Stormrunner shield Blue H: Full Stormrunner hull Blue F: Fires Stormrunner''s 6 turbolasers Red P: Fires several additional shots next time you pull the trigger. Your enemies will be as follows: TIE Fighter - 2 cannons, 50 hull, 20 spd TIE Interceptor - 4 cannons, 100 hull, 22 spd TIE Bomber - 2 cannons, Torpedos, 150 hull, 15 spd TIE Avenger - 4 cannons, Concussion Missiles, 50 shield, 100 hull, 24 spd Assault Gunboat - 2 cannons, Concussion Missiles, 150 shield, 150 hull, 18 spd TIE Defender - 4 cannons, Adv. Concussion Missiles, 100 Shield, 100 hull, 26 spd --At 1000+ score: Corellian Corvette: 6 cannons, 750 shield, 600 hull, 15 spd --At 4000+ score: Nebulon B Frigate: 8 cannons, 1500 shield, 1200 hull, 10 spd --At 8000+ score: Imperial Star Destroyer: 10 cannons, 2500 shield, 2000 hull, 5 spd If you manage to beat the ISD.. well all that is left is fighters.. like I said, incomplete so far But, anyway, I am looking for ideas on how to improve this. I''m open to suggestions Names of various ships/weaponry is (most likely) copyrighted by LucasArts Entertainment Corp.

Ew. Well, I mirrored it on Geocities ( http://www.geocities.com/evil_greven/stormrunner.zip ) but i doubt it''ll last long.. of note, in the Geocities one, you can also pick a Kwing, and SHIFT fires ion cannons.

If Geocities is down (probably in 30min.. or less).. I can email it to you.

-Greven

the menus would look nicer if you had a more closer objects, like sorta make a hud as if you would if the game was 3d.

the one on one fights are pretty bland, just have lots of enemies, faster firing lasers(maybe faster movement of laser aswell)

And i dont think u need the enemies shield if u have more targets

Might I suggest that you vary the firing speed of attacking ships?

From what I noticed each ship fired at a set speed and it is quite easy to hit/duck.

Random firing and more attacking ships on screen...would be an improvment IMHO.

Oh ya, a parallax scrolling (?) starfield would look a lot nicer. (multiple ''layers'' of starfields at different scrolling speeds and transparency)

Keep up the good work!

More enemies and less shields for the enemy would do wonders. Squadrons of TIEs could swarm everywhere, and it would be a lot more interesting (like the classic games of this genre) One on one IS kind of boring.

Other than that, good work (except the main menu )

Here''s what I noticed:

Obviously, the menu is not graphically appealing. But yeah, it works (gets the job done).

Definately tinker with the firing-rate. Maybe have a rapid-fire option as well. A little variety will go a long way.

Also, I found myself doing this a lot: move under the enemy, fire a shot, then move to the side. Wait for the enemy to shoot. Move under the enemy after the shot passes, fire a shot, then move to the side. Rinse, lather, and repeat. This problem could be fixed if the enemies maybe moved left and right randomly on the screen. Doesn''t have to be much, but at least you wouldn''t have to perform the above 3 steps repeatedly.

A bug I noticed was that occassionally the enemy would be stuck at the top of the screen. They wouldn''t fire, they wouldn''t move... just sit there. However, soon as you killed it, another enemy would come down and things would return to normal. Check on that, see if you notice that problem too.

You could also reorganize where your primary keys are (shooting, missiles, link). It''s hard to fire your regular lasers, keep moving, and then fire your missiles. The link (end) is okay... You''d probably have an easier time if you switched to ASDW for your movement. That way most of the tasks the users has to perform (fire weapons, link cannons, etc.) can be done mostly with just one hand.

I agree too with the multiple ships appearing on the screen at a time. You could start off with just one or two while the player adjusts to it, but increase the number as they go on to add a greater challenge to the game.

Not much more than that. Your collision-detection works, you''ve got sound, bitmap blitting, etc. A well-made game.